Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS 430- fuel totalizer - distance to destination

NCY

I was intending to put the traffic on the G500.

Peter

You are probably correct about the EEC rules, the Garmin position may well be questionable but I have to balance this against the high level of help that I get from this particular Garmin dealership.

due to the restrictions Garmin impose on their dealership network I have to let the Garmin dealer install the Garmin Kit

I don’t think the Garmin STCs are Garmin-dealer-only and this means they cannot control who installs it.

And if they restricted their warranty to authorised dealers, that would IMHO be illegal in the EU.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t have a second GPS installed in my Bonanza, but if I did, I would keep it for displaying traffic.

KUZA, United States

NCY

I always try to anticipate likely problems with this sort of project, it’s part of thinking the whole thing over before I start cutting metal. Unfortunaly due to the restrictions Garmin impose on their dealership network I have to let the Garmin dealer install the Garmin Kit but I want to have a good understanding of the interfaces between the Garmin Kit and the other avionics on the aircraft.

The company doing the Garmin part of the fit are very good and most of the guys are VFR pilots and have a good understanding of how it works however if you let the techies configure the fit without IFR pilot input you end up with the Airbus solution to the problem………. I would rather the configuration was a little more along the lines of the Boeing philosophy.

It is interesting that you never bring the fuel data up on the GPS screen and just use the miniflo, may be once the kit is all up and running in the aircraft I will find that your advice is correct. I was rather hoping for a “Progress page one” on #2 GTN650 screen for strategic decisions Boeing style, with the Miniflo being used for tactical control of the fuel flow however I am going to stay open minded about the best way to display and use the information.

A and C, why do you anticipate a problem? It should work just fine. Like I said, with the Miniflo, I never bother to look at the GPS for fuel planning, it is a waste of time, the Miniflo already displays everything.

KUZA, United States

This is very interesting, my miniflo has yet to get out of the cardboard box as have the two Garmin GTN650’s that it will link to, my intention is to run the #1 GTN as the navigation hub and the # 2 GTN as the progress/ flight planning hub when operating the aircraft.

It is becoming clear that software is likely to be the issue when integrating the system and trying to get it to share all the avalable data.

300USD! The whole thing costs less than that to make…

I sure hope so. Otherwise they couldn’t sell a new one for what they do. Costs have little to do with prices. If yours is of the older software version, either live with its deficiencies, upgrade, or replace with new.

KUZA, United States

300USD! The whole thing costs less than that to make…

Check your software versions of the GNS400/500 series:

Main software version 430/530 non WAAS is 3.30 and GPS software vesion is 3.20

For GNS400W/500W series:

Main software version 430W/530W WAAS is 5.10 and GPS software vesion is 5.00

My Shadin Miniflo is serial number 6965 and at software version 60.0 1.83. The very latest version is 60.0 1.84

To determine your software version, press and hold the Enter/Test button to start the self test sequence. Towards the end of the self test, the unit will display the software version on your unit LH and RH display.. If it is the early version, 60.0 1.72, Shadin Support says that version displays distance to waypoint and if you have this version, the unit has to be returned to the factory for the software upgrade. The cost for the upgrade is approximately $300 USD.

KUZA, United States

I have an EDM730, which shows a continuous LFOB using the data from the GTN:

The continuous MPG figure is also neat – let’s you easily optimise cruise for max MPG.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 13 Oct 13:45
EGEO
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message