Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530 Wind Vectors

Just to be clear, the wind vector is only displayed on the map page if all of the required inputs from are provided by attached sensors typically thru the air data unit (TAS, OAT, Heading, Pressure altitude). The GPS measures actual track and groundspeed to do the calculation. The wind vector is shown as an arrow on the map pages indicating direction and a velocity or optionally two vectors one that indicates cross wind component and the other that indicates head/tail wind component. If you enter the values manually, the wind vector is not displayed on the map page and the wind data is only displayed as numbers on the Aux page 1, sub page “Density Alt/TAS/ Winds”.

I troubleshot an A36 that had a GNS530 that would not display the wind vector on the Map page. It turned out to be a failed OAT probe. Once the OAT probe was replaced, the vector returned.

KUZA, United States

Exactly, NCYankee is correct, it is important to understand the difference between calculation based on sensor data or calculation on manual data input.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Does the 530W have an OAT probe option?

The IM doesn’t list anything; it shows OAT among the ADC options so even to get the OAT into it you need an ADC, or something equivalent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

> The IM doesn’t list anything; it shows OAT among the ADC options so even to get the OAT into it you need an ADC, or something equivalent.

I’m pretty sure the only way to get the full set of data is to have full discrete ADC, or an Aspen, Avidyne or G500.

EGEO

> The IM doesn’t list anything; it shows OAT among the ADC options so even to get the OAT into it you need an ADC, or something equivalent.

QuoteI’m pretty sure the only way to get the full set of data is to have full discrete ADC, or an Aspen, Avidyne or G500.

Most ADC’s such as the Shadin, or Aspen system do have their own OAT sensor. In case you have an other ADC without OAT, you could always use the OAT sensor input on the GTX, and use the interface between the GNC or GTN and the GTX to provide the OAT to the GPS navigator.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

you could always use the OAT sensor input on the GTX

Your TAS calculation might be slightly out if your GTX330 OAT probe is as accurate as a lot of them are

My GTX330 OAT feature was 6 degC out and according to the installer this is normal. There is also no calibration adjustment (not in my firmware – year 2005). I don’t know how Garmin get away with this. With such an error you may as well stick your finger out through a hole in the window.

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Jan 08:41
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess most OAT indicators are like that. Only few are adjustable. Take a look on some regular direct reading / fit through windshield OAT indicators, if you have a look at 10 of them in the same hangar they will all indicate other temperature. The JP Instruments, Shadin and Aspen probes or the only one I know of that have a proper calibration function.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

After some investigation we assume it has something to do with pressurization and the static system. I had pressurization on in 3000 ft because it is so cuddly warm then in the cabin. This might have caused some irritations.

EDXQ

The OAT indication of my GTX328 in my Piper Warrior was 6 degrees off aswell … After complaining about it several times Garmin gave me a GTX330 in exchange… now it’s only 2 degrees off. In the CIrrus the Avidyne glass cockpit shows the right OAT (and especially DA), almost always

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message