Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W now displays traffic...but says TCAS FAIL, ADS INC

Dear All,

You may remember in a previous thread a few months ago my plane’s new Garmin GTX345 ADSB-in/out transponder was not speaking to my existing GNS530W. No traffic was appearing. The engineers diagnosed a too-old firmware version in the 530W. The firmware has now been upgraded, and the ADSB traffic now shows on the 530 traffic screen…and I believe the plane also radiates ADSB too. A few things still arise:

1) The GNS530 reports TCAS FAIL, ADS INC on the traffic screen (see pic). I’d rather like to have TCAS advisories annunciated and as you can see from the screen, I am getting Garmin’s “target trend” data on the traffic targets. Does anyone know why I’m getting “TCAS FAIL”?

2) The GNS has a separate screen for traffic (as shown). I haven’t found a way to show the traffic on the main GNS530 map screens. That’s what I would want of course. Is this an option or is something else simply not working? (My Garmin 795 shows traffic on the main screen, along with the map / chart)

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Ah it’s ok….I think I found all my answers in the Garmin Version 5.0 GNS firmware upgrade supplement (2010)

Garmin firmware v5 upgrade supplement

What does Garmin say?

EGTK Oxford

Have you tried Garmin Pilot? It connects to the transponder via bluetooth and you’ll get the adsb targets on the moving map. It beats trying to read something from the GNS screen, IMO.

In fact I have a Garmin Aera 795 on my plane’s yoke and that shows traffic on a moving map, but that’s connected to my Powerflarm rather than the transponder.

The big issue I guess is that there are simply too few planes broadcasting certified ADSB-out in the UK. (PilotAware broadcasts do not show up as ADSB targets on my system.)

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message