Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS categories

Hi all,

In the French AIP I found the following line

“Aircraft shall be equipped with a VOR receiver or a GPS category A, B or
C”

I can’t find anywhere what GPS Category A, B or C means… Google searches either give Cat I, II, III for ILS systems; or I find the Cat A to E for aircraft speed performance.

Any ideas, what it means?

Thanks

Jon

EDHS, Germany

I am guessing but TSO C129a describes three main Equipment classes of A, B and C and several sub classes.

Class A incorporates a GPS sensor and a Navigation capability. Sub classes A1 includes Enroute, Terminal, and Non Precision Approach, A2 only provides Enroute and Terminal navigation. A KLN94 would be Class A1.

Class B is a sensor that provides data to a separate navigation system such as an FMS. Sub Classes B1, B2, B3, and B4 The differences are that B1 and B2 provide RAIM where as B3 and B4 depend on the Navigation system to provide an equivalent to RAIM. B1 and B3 Provide Enroute, Terminal, and NP Approach. B2 and B4 provide Enroute and Terminal.

Class C is a sensor that provides data to a separate navigation system that includes enhanced guidance for an autopilot or flight director in order to reduce flight technical error.

KUZA, United States

And our common GA equipment (Garmin GNS 430/430W, GTN 650, other brands…) is which class?

ELLX

lionel wrote:

And our common GA equipment (Garmin GNS 430/430W, GTN 650, other brands…) is which class?

A1

But note that TSO C129a has been replaced by different TSOs so the classification wouldn’t make sense for more recent equipment. E.g. TSO C145c for GA GPS navigators.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Dec 10:01
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Mmm so I’m guessing it means a certified GPS installation of some description.

So I would not be able to fly to Corsica legally with THREE non-certfied GPS receivers installed.

Shit. I wish I had ordered the Yaesu 550 now as it does VOR.

Oh well.

EDHS, Germany

lionel wrote:

The GNS430 is TSO C129a Class A1
The GNS 430W, GTN650 are both TSO C146a are Class Gamma-3

KUZA, United States
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message