Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN650 or 750?

The 650 is a nice keypad FMS for some other proper display

I would compare it to the KLN94 with the KMD550 in actual use functional separation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Archie wrote:

The 650 […] In a way the display is more like a 430 series.
Not sure I agree here, the 650’s screen is a lot larger than a 430 and can display a lot more. Having flown with both, I find the 650 is a very substantial improvement over the 430.
But both still involve knob-turning or scrolling. Obviously the 750 is in a league of its own there. But if you don’t have the real estate, the 650 is quite competent and useable.

ESMK, Sweden

I have a 650 as #1 and a GNS430 as #2. Almost no knob twiddling on the GTN. Screen about twice the size. If panel space allows, I recommend 750 but 650 is still very nice. Download the simulator and see for yourself.

EBKT

I do agree with #12 and #13, but it’s also worth bearing in mind that the days of poking at the screen of either box (GTN650 or 750) are pretty well gone. Flight plan entry and alteration is most conveniently done on an iPad, while for other functions the system responds to a variety of voice commands. So, for instance, instead of all that old-fashioned screen-touching bollox, we just say “tune destination approach”, and if we’re a bit lonely and want the machine to talk to us we can ask it to “say ETE to Destination” – or whatever.

Don’t expect too much though. For instance, it won’t “say War and Peace” for one of Peter’s long flights, and I couldn’t find “say Grand National winner” in the crib sheet, so Ryanair crew will still have to ask London Info to give us all the day’s racing results…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

while for other functions the system responds to a variety of voice commands.

Well, yes, if you have a Garmin audio panel….

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jacko wrote:

Flight plan entry and alteration is most conveniently done on an iPad

Don’t you need a special connection module for this (Bluetooth?)

You need this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/155337 It’s brilliant.

[ for when the link goes dead, that was a Flight Stream 510 ]

EGKB Biggin Hill

(or if you don’t have a GTN: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/153681)

[ for when the link goes dead, that was a Flight Stream 110/210 ]

EGKB Biggin Hill

@Timothy
Will Flight Stream 510 stream weather in Europe?

Tököl LHTL

Only if you buy the expensive Connext system.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message