Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Halon Extinguisher 6 years maintenance

Hello,

My restart C182 is equipped with a mandatory fire extinguisher, ref. AMEREX C352TS.
The maintenance manual calls for a 6 years operation interval (OP. 18), described as follow:
Cockpit Mounted Halon Type Fire Extinguishers – 211 Empty, inspect for damage, and recharge.

My question is: do other brands than Cessna have the same requirement ?
Also, do you know of a facility able to perform such maintenance, considering that it may leave empty, but it will come back full – and as so, will ship HAZMAT.

For information, I’ve been quoted for a new one 177.5£ + 147.30£ for shipping.

Regards

Is this listed Chapter IV ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Good point – the one on a TB is a factory option so doesn’t have to be installed. No idea if it has to be serviceable if installed. That is however not the OP’s question. Yes, this “hazardous material” stuff is a huge hassle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have bought my fire extinguisher Halon 1211F, 2,5 LB from H3R Aviation in 2013, the price was 240,45 Euro.
You can ask for maintenance or for a new one: Aviall Services Inc., Schillingweg 40, 2153 Nieuw Vennep, Netherlands, email: [email protected]

Berlin, Germany

Ahhh Chapter IV !
Michael you are true to highlight. Chapter IV only has OIL PRESSURE SWITCH.
But in EASA land, the regulator will require the full MM to be applied, not only chapter IV items.

Technically, what do you think about this requirement ?
Do you have, Peter and Michael, an extinguisher in your aircraft(s) ?

@highflyer
Why did you buy a new one ? Was it because you hadn’t got one yet, or was it because you had reached the 6 years limit ?

PS; i’ll Also have to replace airbag inflators within the year… and they also ship Hazmat. It’s promising…

I have one, same since 2002, still reading Green.

In some cases you can get around the hazmat crazy shipping cost stuff by getting someone to buy it in the source country and anonymously pop it into a box and posting it to you This is fine with say some PRC-type sealant but I don’t think I would do this with a full fire extinguisher which has a nonzero chance of leaking, or worse.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

still reading Green.

So reading green is sufficient reasoning for you ?
Mine is also weighed every year (by MM), and weight is stable.

Also, do you know of a facility able to perform such maintenance, considering that it may leave empty,

You’re not thinking of emptying it, I hope. Halon is no longer manufactured, and will be drained and re-used.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Maoraigh
Hum..
So maybe I should do nothing ?
I wonder what is the technical rational behind this requirement.

If halon is no longer manufactured, how can they sell new extinguisher ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Why did you buy a new one ?

It was the 6 year limit, the extinguisher still showed just green.
To get around with the outrageous shipping costs we did a short trip combined with a bycicle tour and picked him up at Hilversum airfield.

Berlin, Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message