Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Owning more than one plane

MedEwok wrote:

I’d just use the TBM for everything including lots of VFR flights at 2000 ft AGL

This is absolutely possible . Just a little awkward because of low visibility from the cockpit, higher speeds, and excessive fuel usage down low. Landing a TBM on 600m strips is rewarding, although every time I put it on grass, I feel it cries a little. A Pilatus would be better for that.

Last Edited by loco at 24 Nov 17:08
LPFR, Poland

There are some interesting waves in the upper skin, visible on his RH wing. Also interesting how much the rudder rattles around in flight. Probably normal

Yes of course a TBM can do it “all”. 500m grass, even, if light. 500m tarmac “anytime”. You just pay…

Let’s ask Peter on what he really want between TB20 and TBM (I bet he loves the TB20)

The problem is that there is very little in the huge gap between a TB20 and a TBM. There is the Jetprop… but – regardless of how much money you have – a JP has the same mission capability reduction as a TBM i.e. you can’t see much out of it and can’t get decent photos. It’s just the way the world is… there are piston engines, and then there are the €500 note burners Actually the cost per mile is not much more; it is the capital cost really.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

A Pilatus would be better for that.

My comment was tongue in cheek but if I ever had the opportunity to buy a SET I’d prefer the PC12 over its competitors, I think it has the most flexible mission profile.

As for the original topic I think some kind of “fun airplane” would be a nice complement to a more typical one used for travelling. I’d like to fly a warbird one day. There was a Messerschmitt Bf109 on planecheck not long ago, built in 1942 and fully restored/renovated. Must be interesting (and difficult!) to fly. Asking price was 5 million € IIRC…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I like the Pc12 and the Tbm, even a M600 would be nice.
And then I’d probably go for a nice SR22 and a SF50 Vision Jet. The SR22 for short vfr hops and shorter runways and the vision for citytrips/vacation with family and friends. Someday…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yeah, that 130kg full fuel payload on the Vision is just perfect for a family vacation.

Peter, that’s an HF antenna flapping.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

130kg full fuel payload

It’s bad I agree. Gotta use the SR22 then..
Of course a TBM is faster and has more range.
If I’d own only one I’d get a Turboprop.
But when having two it would be two Cirri.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have 1/6 of a Jodel DR1050 wood-and-fabric tailwheel, and 1/4 of a Bolkow BO208C Junior metal nosewheel aircraft. Both have O200 engines. Both are grounded at present.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

that 130kg full fuel payload on the Vision is just perfect for a family vacation.

I wonder if Cirrus is already developing the Vision G2

EBST, Belgium

A TBM of course to do it all but then…A warbird to play on sunday mornings? Of course! A mousquetaire for glacier flying? So tempting! A helicopter? Sure, best way to go golfing! A large Jet? We have TBM owners that operate Falcons caliber planes and use their TBM for shorter trips.

Christmas is around the corner and I am ready for any set of keys that will take me flying!…

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Peter I suggest a jungmeister for fun flight, rv-8 for short 300 miles trips and a lancair evolution for over 1000 NM trips
can’t beat them and they don’t fight

KHQZ, United States
Sign in to add your message