Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot v Foreflight

I wonder which of these apps will be first to implement voice control, now that iOS 13 supports it without an internet connection?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It already works, although I haven’t tried it in the plane.

EGTF, LFTF

It already works, although I haven’t tried it in the plane.

How did you use it exactly? Did you say i.e. while using Foreflight „Hey Siri, show me the Airport frequencies of EDDS in Foreflight!“

What about the surrounding noice, or is your iPad coupled via Bluetooth with your headset?

EDDS , Germany

It’s a different function to Siri, called Voice Control, which you can ask Siri to turn on ;-)
Once it’s on the phone listens to you, you don’t need to say Siri. For example, “Open Pilot” will open that application. It helps if in the Voice Control settings, you turn on the Overtay, this will assign a number to each button on the screen. You can then just say “Press 1” etc. It avoids having to guess the name that the app developers gave to each button (and they’re usually not that guessable).

Frankly I don’t see much use for this in the cockpit. Now, when you’re cooking or reading in your bath, definitely :-)

EGTF, LFTF

Wondering if anyone has any updates for this thread? I’ve been using Foreflight in the US for years on an iPad and I’m very happy with it, so all things being equal would continue to use it in Europe as well. Hopefully I’ll be doing a mix of IFR and VFR flight, based in France (LFMD). As far as I can see, for €90 or so I can add Europe to my existing subscription, and then when the transition is over, switch to Europe-only.

Thanks…

LFMD, France

You’ll be bit disappointed when you compare Foreflight support for US and Europe. In Europe we’ve been waiting for new features for years and years regardless their importance. Just to list two: improved IFR routing and weather radar coverage for Italy and South East Europe

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I tried Garmin Pilot but perhaps because my iPad mini 2 is quite long in the tooth, it wasn’t that friendly.

I may be carrying out a couple of ferry flights and tried ForeFlight, and it works very fast on the iPad and I liked the functionality. Am still on the free trial period and have only tested some of my usual airway routes. The routes are validated very quickly, literally in seconds. In terms of validating long range ferry routes, it is able to provide routes that have been recently filed, with type of aircraft. It needs an add on for South America, so planning is feasible but it doesn’t provide recently validated IFR routes.

I had used Rocket Route before when flying airways in Europe, and did try them again, but ForeFlight seems a better product today.

If your flying is mainly VFR with occasional airways, easyVFR and autorouter.aero are a very practical combination. easyVFR covers thousands of farm strips and has very good situational awareness for navigating controlled airspace. It also has good NOTAM briefing with practical filters.

I will probably keep ForeFlight for airways planning and IFR, and easyVFR for, as it helpfully says on the tin, VFR planning and situational awareness.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I will probably keep ForeFlight for airways planning and IFR, and easyVFR for, as it helpfully says on the tin, VFR planning and situational awareness.

Just take care of which iPad you use because older ones are not supported anymore with new versions of the application.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Emir thank you, my mini is on 12.4.9 so am guessing it is missing some of the latest functionality of the ForeFlight app.

https://foreflight.com/support/support-center/category/about-foreflight-mobile/115013861268

The app works, however, but am not sure what features are not loaded.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

If/when Foreflight fix the various autorouting issues (they may have done but I haven’t read anything saying so) particularly the difficulties with configuring specific levels etc, and make this work on the browser version too, I will use it again. I had the 1 year subscription (which I paid for) and didn’t renew.

However, I fly almost entirely IFR in mainland Europe. VFR is a different proposition in Europe, with these US-market apps.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message