Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The most irritating things in flying

Funny thing, this PPR. As an aerodrome owner, I can’t see the point of it.

The VFR flight guides say it is mandatory for Glenswinton, despite my telling them year after year that prior permission is NOT required. Perhaps they’re incapable of imagining that one could use a private field without having to ask permission.

I wonder whether this stems from Rule 12 of the UK Rules of the Air.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Having to pay for it……

Mine too, why does it have to cost such a sh#tload of money? Oh and the need to file a flightplan whenever I cross a border from the Netherlands. As I gliderpilot I flew a lot in and out of Germany and even Belgium just on a whim and never bothered with flightplans – nobody did. But with an engine it somehow is taken very seriously…

EHTE, Netherlands
  • If I have to land at a foreign airfield in my home country just to show my passport while people from other continents do not have to show their passport when crossing
    the border and will be financially rewarded.
  • The duty to wear a yellow jacket.
Berlin, Germany

Having to pull 5 aircraft out of the hangar to get to the one I booked.
Having to push back the 5 aircraft in the hangar after I get the one I booked out.

having to discover after that the aircraft tank is empty and the prior pilot did not comply with the aeroclub regulation which ask to fill the tank when getting below the 1/2 mark.

Finally getting airborne, 5 minutes before my booking slot ends, for doing my mandatory 3 patterns, and getting summoned by the chief pilot for being late, and booking a too large slot for a such short flight.

Last Edited by jeff64 at 25 Mar 11:32
LFBZ, France
  • Enroute charges for a six seat non turbo charged non pressurized light twin with a MTOW at 2360 kg.
  • Other pilots flying over my house when I have to do work in my garden.
Last Edited by Michael_J at 25 Mar 11:38
EKRK, Denmark

jeff64 wrote:

and getting summoned by the chief pilot for being late

If anyone in this context thought they had the prerogative to ‘summon’ me then they’d get a few choice words and no more of my custom.

Why do people tolerate this sort of stuff in a recreational activity?

EGLM & EGTN

Jeff described the perfect summary of an average French club pilot spending an average weekend afternoon spent doing the currency required by his club. And the average chief pilot too
Some still wonder why pilots stop flying very quickly after their training….
That’s why I fly in a club that keep its planes outside !
Deepest sympathies Jeff

LFOU, France

Graham wrote:

Why do people tolerate this sort of stuff in a recreational activity?

When the boss of “C152 LTD” is an ex-war colonel you have no choice

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

His rank and background are irrelevant to me. If he expects me to be subservient to him then I’ll take my business elsewhere.

EGLM & EGTN
  • Small innocent details on a plane going wrong which then require hours to pin down and to rectify. It always happens before a planned long distance flight/holiday :-[
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
Sign in to add your message