Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the N-reg community in Europe going to just disappear?

BeechBaby wrote:

You see this is the very problem. A little Englander perspective, sniggering behind the bar, telling tall tales about those blasted Gerries and Muricans. Ruining our pitch because they chose to fly under another flag. Of convenience?

Where has this spiteful outburst come from? I have already told you I have operated on many different registers. I hold UK and US licences and Isle of Man validations. You would be hard pressed to find a less xenophobic person than me although I can make an exception for ignorant and insulting people like you

Last Edited by Neil at 11 Apr 19:30
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It is really pretty evident that the spiteful outburst was not directed at you personally, but at an attitude that pervades, unfairly, at N reg community. It is prevelent throughout the UK. Anyway must have touched an internal nerve if you took it personally. Now on the other hand if you knew me, which you do not, you would know that your personal attack that I am ignorant, spiteful and insulting, bothers me not a jot. Having been on N reg, and an aircraft owner in the UK for years gives one a certain thick skin. Night, night.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

OK cool it please. No need to get personal.

There is a lot of prejudice against N-reg, from the lower ranks of the regulatory apparatus, sometimes from higher up, commonly from employees of flying schools, owners of assorted types of envy, etc. One has to ignore this… On EuroGA we should be above that sort of thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is a lot of prejudice against N-reg, from the lower ranks of the regulatory apparatus, sometimes from higher up, commonly from employees of flying schools, owners of assorted types of envy, etc. One has to ignore this… On EuroGA we should be above that sort of thing.

Yes there is prejudice and my opinion is that this is a factor that makes N reg less desirable. There is hassle operating an N reg aircraft in Europe, that is undeniable. You yourself said if you started again you probably wouldn’t go N reg. I have had 3 N reg aircraft and I am saying the same.

Luckily BeechBaby, whoever he is, does not care what I think of him

I only know one N-reg pilot in Europe, who had an SR22 en région parisienne and spent his weekends in Burgundy or Switzerland. I can’t remember if he said the maintenance was any easier, but the main reason was the accessibility of the FAA IR. This profile really demonstrated the utility of GA, compared to spending hours in traffic on Friday night.

I’ve never known any anti-N feeling in France. On the other hand, I have heard it disparaged in the UK, the worst being from a flying school: a teenager and his father were asking about the PPL, having done a few hours in a Florida C172. According to the instructor, not only was this experience worthless, it was teaching the wrong things and would have to be unlearned. I can see a school would have a vested interest in protecting their revenue stream, but this was just petty.

I’ve only used my FAA certificate once in Europe, in the SR22 mentioned above: the flying was no different from using my EASA PPL. Personally, I would prefer any regime that limits cost and bureaucracy.

If the N-register is used by higher-value aircraft, I can see there could be jealousy. Does the same happen for, say, the Isle of Man M-register which has a lot of turbines? Unfortunately the GA disciplines can be tribalistic, and N-reg / non N-reg is another difference that is almost ideological.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Does the same happen for, say, the Isle of Man M-register which has a lot of turbines?

Yes; people tell me our company aircraft is M reg as a tax dodge; it is not, we pay the same as everyone else.

Neil wrote:

tax dodge

This is a good analogy. Some people view the N-register as the most efficient way of maintaining an aircraft, while others see it as circumventing the system.

Like Candide, I’ll tend my own garden

What’s the advantage of M reg these days if you’re not resident in the Isle of Man?

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

What’s the advantage of M reg these days if you’re not resident in the Isle of Man?

Quicker, easier and cheaper than the CAA/EASA

Just as an example, the CAA require you to write your own RVSM manual, which they charge you to look at and it has been known that edits of previously accepted manuals are rejected. The approval costs thousands. The Isle of Man supply the manual and charge very little.

alioth wrote:

A quick look on the respective registries shows aircraft ownership per capita is 30 times higher on the Isle of Man than it is on the mainland. I’m sure not all of Alioth’s neighbours are Gulfstream owners

Sign in to add your message