Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Might this explain the unusually large infringement numbers that popped up a while ago?

The spike in numbers was some sort of DA busts.

Since the top of the CAA enforcement department and probably half of the rest of the CAA, NATS and DFT read EuroGA daily, they could have commented

So much for being interested in promoting safety, rather than just busting every pilot who infringes something. The silence, with various threats (see posts a bit further back) confirms this absolutely.

Barton has a long history of extreme MOR filing. I have heard so much stuff, and a lot can’t be posted.

ATZ busts are great for inflating the numbers. Lots of them happening, and no previous enforcement. They get you with the radar data from the nearest radar unit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

Use of QFE rather than QNH is specified, with pilots to report “height” on entry to the ATZ. Many pilots will not readily use QFE especially beneath CAS because of infringement risk of not using the local QNH.

This aspect does seem ridiculously messy.

flybymike wrote:

More interestingly though is that simply listening out on the Barton frequency is no longer acceptable for the purposes of acquiring the necessary information to enter the ATZ, and entry without specific information delivered personally to you by the AFISO, or entering after being told to “stand by” without such chat, will apparently constitute an infringement.

This seems to amount to requiring a “clearance” to enter by any other name.

That has always been the case.

EGTK Oxford

Not according to opinions on other high profile aviation forums.

Egnm, United Kingdom

I have NEVER enteted an ATZ without establishing contact by either airborne radio or having been given explicit instructions via telephone briefing.
I am unfamiliar with std non radio aircraft procedures but am surprised if it is correct that a radio equipped aircraft didn’t need some sort of permission.
I have always operated along the straightforward line of make contact, receive information and or details, if I’m not welcome I will be informed.
If I’m not given a reason, I will expect there was a specific cause for that.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 04 Jan 16:32
United Kingdom

My understanding has always been that if it has ATC then it is basically CAS.

AFIS or A/G cannot control airborne traffic.

Obviously one should make early contact but that’s not the legal question… Unless the CAA is busting under the generic endangerment provisions.

Administrator

I am unfamiliar with std non radio aircraft procedures but am surprised if it is correct that a radio equipped aircraft didn’t need some sort of permission.

Permission to enter a FISO or A/G ATZ has never been required, merely a requirement to obtain information necessary to safely enter the zone.

This can perfectly legally be done by listening out on the frequency before announcing an _intention_to enter the zone.

This is not to say that it would not be good practice to use the radio to communicate with the AFISO and clearly announce intentions for the benefit of other traffic.

The apparent latest Interpretation of the actual requirements to imply that “permission” is required from a pseudo ATC controller is a step too far.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

Permission to enter a FISO or A/G ATZ has never been required, merely a requirement to obtain information necessary to safely enter the zone.

Not quite. Rule 11:

(2) An aircraft must not fly, take off or land within the aerodrome traffic zone of an aerodrome unless the commander of the aircraft has complied with paragraphs (3), (4) or (5), as appropriate.
(3) If the aerodrome has an air traffic control unit the commander must obtain the permission of that unit to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the aerodrome traffic zone.
(4) If the aerodrome provides a flight information service the commander must obtain information from the flight information centre to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the aerodrome traffic zone.
(5) If there is no flight information centre at the aerodrome the commander must obtain information from the air/ground communication service to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the aerodrome traffic zone.

EGTK Oxford
Since the top of the CAA enforcement department and probably half of the rest of the CAA, NATS and DFT read EuroGA daily, they could have commented

So much for being interested in promoting safety, rather than just busting every pilot who infringes something. The silence, with various threats (see posts a bit further back) confirms this absolutely.

Very well said.

The trouble is they arent remotely interested in promoting safety, just course filing.

I am hoping that the last figures, showing a big change in the warning letter v. gasco ratio, are real and not just a blip.

If they are real then for sure somebody got a massive kick up the backside. I have always believed, and every informed person who I spoke to about it agreed, that this policy was a semi freelance operation within the CAA+DfT.

Jason – how old is that Rule 11 wording?

A part of the current issue is that a lot of the ATZ bust enforcement has been for enroute busts which “clipped” the ATZ.

It’s like clipping one of the French nuclear power station P areas; 100m in is enough. That was never enforced in the past. The examples given on the gasco thing (I won’t call it a “course” because the education value is close to nil) were enroute busts.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message