Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

@DavidJ, unfortunately the BBC gets connected with the Guardian in more ways than one (yes I know this is the Daily Mail but the BBC is hardly likely to carry that story)

Shortly after we came to the UK (from Czechoslovakia) my father went to the BBC for a job interview. He came back home absolutely furious, saying “I’ve spent my life trying to escape from bloody communism, and this place is full of them!”. Apparently he was interviewed by a couple of real proper marxists.

The BBC’s reporting is of generally good quality in that they tend to check the details more than others, but they struggle with (and do their best to operate) the political correctness which pervades every area of research and academia generally. The result is that a lot of reports get squashed because they don’t fit into their PC view.

I spoke to a UK Met Office forecaster a few years ago about this and his view was that the full mechanisms involved are still not understood.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Guardian was simply where I saw the story. The story was covered by virtually every other media, including the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43699607

Peter wrote:

the result is that a lot of reports get squashed because they don’t fit into their PC view.

I don’t follow, sorry. The BBC were being censored by OFCOM because they didn’t present a balanced picture. A picture which was clearly more right wing, than left.

If you want to be angry at anyone presumably OFCOM are your target?

I am not angry at anyone

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At my school a handful of us went to University (back in the days when only 2% of the population had degrees).

One chap went to one of the Russell Group Universities and after one term had changed from being a Thatcherite to an extreme Marxist which surprised us all quite a bit at the time! His dissertation would have revealed his political colours to any employer if it had come up in an interview.

His first job was with the BBC where he stayed. He did a long stint as a producer on Newsnight as I used to see his name on the credits.

United Kingdom

There is some very basic sun activity correlation analysis here;

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/solact.html

Further to my post above, perhaps we need to look at the sources of the information like the IPCC rather than the shoddy BBC reporting

The problem with the BBC “guidance” on how to report climate change is that there is no challenge to any green reporting anymore. I don’t mean by “deniers” (like Nigel Lawson) I mean by people who might believe that PV panels fitted on the roof of social housing in the UK is not good value for money. So yesterday on the BBC, we had a huge segment of propaganda “reporting” about labour’s green deal, including an interview with the owner of a PV company who said that feed in tariffs need to be reintroduced (to boost his business) and no cost benefit analysis.

By 2020 the existing policies are predicted to make prices 37% higher, and 41% higher in 2030. We could have done so much better for so much less with sensible policies.

Remember, I totally “believe” that climate change is happening, I just think that the policy responses are often incorrect. At present, we need to be spending our resources on cleaning up the plastic littered all over the planet, the micro plastics being eaten by fish, and other real pollution. When we have done that we can ramp up our efforts on climate change. By then PV might be giving 40% efficiency and there will be a lot more data out there, in 5 years time we will know more about the gradient of the rise in temperatures

We certainly don’t have an “emergency” and the world is not going to end in 12 years as often claimed. I think we should be concerned, but we should not be doing things to make the developing world poorer. A richer “developing nation” will be able to cope with these issues far better. ie fresh water for crops provided by PV desalination, rather than some dirt poor farmer starving on a parched bit of land.

United Kingdom

Our view of a news source’s perceived bias will be clearly affected by our own political stance.

There are many people who feel that Fox News is a balanced, rational and mature news organisation. These people are also likely to feel that the owner of The Spectator magazine is an appropriate individual to present the flagship BBC political show ‘This Week’. Or that Nick Robinson, ex-President of the Conservative Party youth group should present Radio 4’s Today. Whatever.

Archer-181 wrote:

When we have done that we can ramp up our efforts on climate change.

Can’t we do both?

Archer-181 wrote:

the world is not going to end in 12 years as often claimed

Never heard that. Sources, please.

What I have heard is that the likelihood of restricting the increase in global temperatures becomes much more difficult, and expensive, the longer you leave it.

There is probably more we agree on that disagree DavidJ, but it is probably best we agree to differ on the BBC.

It was AOC who claimed the world would end in 12 years https://news.yahoo.com/ocasio-cortez-world-going-end-150517060.html She has since back tracked from the claim and says if we believed her, we have the intelligence of sea sponges – whatever – can’t say I’m bothered what she thinks!

On your final point I can be persuaded on that but I just don’t agree that putting solar PV in the UK is a good idea. I’d rather pay for solar PV in Sicily or Africa where it is actually sunny and do other things like insulate buildings in the UK. The problem is when you are a Politician there is nothing like a PV panel on a damp UK roof to show you are doing something. There should be proper cost benefit analysis of policies, not virtue signalling which makes everybody worse off.

United Kingdom

PV is cheap enough now that it does not new any feed-in tariffs any more.

ESMK, Sweden

Archer-181 wrote:

It was AOC who claimed the world would end in 12 years https://news.yahoo.com/ocasio-cortez-world-going-end-150517060.html She has since back tracked from the claim and says if we believed her, we have the intelligence of sea sponges – whatever – can’t say I’m bothered what she thinks!

So a single US Congress member makes an outrageous statement and then it is “often claimed”!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message