Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Closing flight plan in France - how necessary

I flew to St Yan LFLN on Saturday, IFR.

It was unmanned and the last controller told me to call a number to close the flight plan.

I forgot to make the call.

Nothing seems to have happened (yet) and I wonder if perhaps the process is slightly different for IFR because somebody has to transmit the ARR message for the benefit of IFPS (Eurocontrol) anyway...

The only apparent sign of life was the fireman who also did the fuel.

I would have thought that the first thing upon "going missing" would be a phone call to the destination airport, and (if there is nobody there) the second thing a call to the phone # on the flight plan. My mobile # is on the flight plan, and nobody phoned it.

I don't really want to get a bill for €500000, for a S&R operation covering all of France, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Close it, phone anybody, don't take the risk. I don't know about France but here in Croatia you can get nasty call from ATC in such case and if you repeat it, they can report you to CAA and you'll probably be fined.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It's a bit late doing it 2 days later...

Curiously I have just tried the number (+33810437837) and working through the menus to English / Close flight plan it says Transferring to an operator and then I get cut off every time I do this.

Administrator

If its still showing in your AFPEx message box, you could close it yourself.

Norman
United Kingdom

Curiously I have just tried the number (+33810437837) and working through the menus to English / Close flight plan it says Transferring to an operator and then I get cut off every time I do this.

At least now you have an 'out'. :-)

EGTT, The London FIR

Next time call Le Bourget and close the flightplan with them at +33 1 48 625307. What I do is I send an arrival message using our flightplan app, which will be confirmed by Eurocontrol/CFMU saying "arrival message accepted". Then I also call Le Bourget to tell them I landed ok.

EDLE, Netherlands

It turns out that I had a close call on the last one.

They phone somebody at the airport to check, as the first thing... luckily somebody answered the phone.

Administrator

I also hope you would have had a phone call, as well as a close call. If they didnt contact the number on the flight plan before considering raising an EUR 500,000 invoice for you, that would be pretty stressful.

I know there are differences between IFR and VFR flight plans, but I too have forgotten to close a VFR flight plan by phone at least once (more so landing back at my untowered airfield), but AFAIK no one has called the base or me. But there must be some 'following', as per the recent incident over the channel. Maybe in that case it was a 1177 squawk which unexplainedly disappeared from the screen in London Info. I know we cant speculate really, but you do wonder who or what does or doesnt follow you as you travel on a flight plan.

Deffo close your FP in France - write it on the back of your hand in big felt-tip letters.....!!

Bordeaux
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message