Welcome to our forums

How far could a 777 fly at 1000ft AMSL?

Peter wrote:

What units is the FF/ENG

Pounds per hour in all the POH’s I’ve seen

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

@Peter
The unit is KG
In this example multiply with 4 engines.
Total capacity is 225.500 liters or 181.000 kg (rounded).
Aircraft uses less fuel when it is lighter obviously.

Last Edited by cessnatraveller at 28 Jun 13:06

Our dispatcher at Prescott years ago was a retired airline pilot and dear friend who had flown Connies for TWA and before that DC-6’s in the Berlin Airlift. He had an occasion in a 707 on a red-eye out of New York for LA where the aircraft wouldn’t pressurize and they elected to continue at 10,000’ or something. I don’t know what he would have done about the cabin altitude over the Rockies, but they had to land at Denver anyway because there wasn’t enough fuel.

(Sorry for the thread drift following, but his best story, possibly only told to me as a Brit, was about the night Prince Charles was born. They were mid-Atlantic in a Connie and heard the news on the HF. A passenger came forward asking if he could use the radio to send a greeting to London. He had a note on which he’d scribbled some thoughts. The passenger was Danny Kaye and the note was the lyrics of a song based on ‘Happy Birthday’ which he then sang into the microphone.)

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Nice to see the difference between the aircraft above which holds 181,000 Kg and mine which holds 181 litres!

United Kingdom

So, what is the answer to my original Q?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So, what is the answer to my original Q?

It depends.

EGTK Oxford

Holding, as a guide, at 351t (MTOW), the B777-200LR will burn 9000kg/hr at 1500ft going down to 6000kg/hr at a more representative 220t average landing weight.

Total fuel is 181,270L = 145,500kg

A mid burn is 6500kg = 22hrs to dry tanks.

4800-6000nm approx?

The rule of thumb is that it burns about 100-120kg a minute in the terminal area.

EGCV, United Kingdom

That (still about half the high altitude range) is a lot further than some earlier indications suggested.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The aircraft is incredible. It does the 9000nm sector DOH-AKL without a problem, including coping with limited diversion options which sometimes require more diversion fuel be carried. On our freighter routes the 200F will fly 40 hours out of the 48 it takes to get round and back to base. A lightly loaded aircraft will go straight to FL430 maintaining 2500fpm passing FL380. It’s built like a tank and very reliable, allowing certification for ETOPS 330.

Last Edited by GilesM at 30 Jun 10:54
EGCV, United Kingdom

GilesM wrote:

The aircraft is incredible

I agree. I’ve seen 5000fpm step climbing from the lower thirties up…
EFATO climb rates are respectable as well even at MTOM.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message