Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dale Klapmeier - Founder of Cirrus - His personal story behind the company

Silvaire wrote:

Cirrus aircraft are really not a feature

They tend to be popular with young tech entrepreneurs, so have a look at the west coast?
Like doctors on Beech, traffic controllers on Mooney and professional pilots on RV

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Like doctors on Beech, traffic controllers on Mooney and professional pilots on RV

That is hilarious, because it exactly matches my experience.

I tend to use self-service unstaffed airports: out of the plane, through (sometimes over ) the fence with duffle bag and then walk or taxi to destination, or to rental car. Self service fuel except at base where I can sit in my own hangar while waiting for the fuel truck. Otherwise, I don’t want or need ATC, ground staff or service to slow me down around an airport. I suspect that is not the preference of Cirrus drivers in general and that would be an explanation of why I don’t see so many of them.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Sep 22:14

The great thing about general aviation is that there are so many different options. You can fly a steam gauge Cub and get tons of enjoyment or a Vision Jet and get the same tons of enjoyment.

What I admire is the fact that Dale and his brother targeted a market and have totally delivered to that objective – the lifestyle company (with significant personal sacrifice and risk). They have sold 7000+ SRs and have literally changed the debate about improving safety in Aviation and in so doing making it more of a family affair. For those who don’t want to have those benefits – that’s your choice – and there are times I make it too. However for me I can now make that choice and often I do. I get utility out of my Cirrus that I would not get if Dale and his team did not have this vision. My wife and children would fly with me far less frequently.

You can argue all you like about whether good pilots should always ‘fly the plane’ or pull a parachute and ‘lose’ control. I work by numbers. I have only found one study that publishes the statistics of fatalities for off airport landings. That was back in 1998 of 5%. The parachute has been deployed 90 ish times with 0 fatalities. You could count one when the chute was pulled in a fully formed spin caused by ice and exceeding the load factors of the chute – but in this case I doubt an off airport landing would have been possible!

Regardless, for those of you who have built and run businesses, I am sure you would agree that what Dale and team have achieved against the odds is simply incredible. The world needs unreasonable people as they are the ones who change the world… Imagine if the Wright brothers listened to the sceptics back then?

Elon Musk and Tesla? I may not like him or agree with his social activity or opinions but I surely have to admire what he has done to the car industry…

The thing about intelligence is that it is a capability that must by definition criticise. I think the world is full of this criticism as we become more and more intelligent / educated. Sometimes we need childlike dreaming – passion and courage. Dale and his brother have this for sure. I for one admire it.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

SierraNovember wrote:

The thing about intelligence is that it is a capability that must by definition criticise.

Love this ^

I can’t find it now but I read an interview of DK/AK a few years back. In it they mentioned a business/strategy/whatever meeting and everybody was talking airplanes and pilots. Apparently some young marketing guy pointed out that they should sell a lifestyle instead of airplanes. That stuck with me. It worked.

always learning
LO__, Austria

SierraNovember wrote:

I think the world is full of this criticism as we become more and more intelligent / educated. Sometimes we need childlike dreaming – passion and courage. Dale and his brother have this for sure. I for one admire it.

Funny… To each his own for sure, and making money is good particularly if you’re on the receiving end, but I have the opposite impression – that the Cirrus is the product of rather uninspired pragmatism. The Lexus SUV of aircraft. I wonder what the brothers do when they want to have fun.

Snoopy wrote:

Apparently some young marketing guy pointed out that they should sell a lifestyle instead of airplanes.

Yawn

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Oct 01:19

Silvaire wrote:

Yawn

You don’t think it’s true?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 Oct 04:35
always learning
LO__, Austria

that the Cirrus is the product of rather uninspired pragmatism

For which there is a market for sure – 7000 SRs for sure! A bit like a Volvo. Many people, certainly in the UK love this car when they have families.

Utility at certain times – Thrill at others. As you say each to their own but I certainly feel if you can own one airplane then the SR is something you can commute IFR in (I have done 4-5 hour legs), fly low for fun and land on grass/short (ish) strips (not much I have found you cant get into) and take the family on either. That suits me. Of course a cub is more suited the the low and slow and a TBM to the commute IFR. Neither has the parachute! The SR is a great all rounder. There is a market for that and Cirrus like any good business exploits that. They make money and the business and product gets better…. all good by me!

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

One can’t argue with success – enormous customer loyalty and great performance.

and land on grass/short (ish) strips (not much I have found you cant get into)

I did take the above with a pinch of salt

An early Cessna 185 with around 1750lbs empty weight, could be upgraded to an IO-550, BRS, and four point BAS seat belts and you are not too far off the SR22 cruise/safety package but with more payload, and the ability to go to farm/mountain strips, or skis/floats.

The C-185 is also power plant future proofed as you can swap a RR turboprop when AvGas disappears, as unfortunately it will.

Actually there is a more straightforward route, the turbine Maule.

http://www.maule.com.au/turbo-prop

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 05 Oct 09:02
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Silvaire wrote:

Yawn

You don’t think it’s true?

I’m sure it is, and I find it a bit depressing that very big purchases by successful people can be provoked by ‘lifestyle’, an advertising image. My own attraction to aviation is that it otherwise tends to devalue BS. Those with the cash to spend should absolutely spend it as they wish, but I find Cirrus a bit boring. That’s just me.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Oct 13:53

Silvaire wrote:

My own attraction to aviation is that it otherwise tends to devalue BS.

I like this sentence.

I guess it’s a fine line. Not all is BS, but some is.

always learning
LO__, Austria
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message