Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crowdfunding launched by German/Swiss AOPAs to help rescue a retired pilot from bankruptcy due to German customs decision

Nothing, as it is just forum speculation.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Isn’t that implicit in the trust document?

I doubt anyone would ask for such letter as you are the beneficiary owner and you do what you wish with the aircraft

When renting aircraft in US to travel in Caribbean, the FBOs in Florida gives you a “Letter of Authorization or Rental”, I understand as it’s US aircraft not registered in pilot name but this is not listed in any official aircraft documents to carry by FAA or NAA (but it’s referenced in AOPA guide)

I doubt this one relates to anything with customs (upon landing in any country you need to buy “temporary cruise permits” that gets signed by customs and when coming back to US you need a “CBP customs decal”)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So if a non-EU-resident flies (uses) an N-reg (legal owner: Trust, outside the EU) into the EU, it would be a good idea to have a written authorisation by the trust….
That is dynamite…

“dynamite” meaning?

At least one company managing trusts does exactly that. There are two agreements, a trust agreement and an operating agreement (between the Trust (Owner Trustee) and the Operator). In most cases the Operator would be the same person as the Trustor, but I see no reason that the Operator couldn’t be any person.

I think it makes sense for any Operator, EU resident or not, if for no other reason than it creates a clear legal basis for operating the aircraft.

Last Edited by chflyer at 06 Feb 11:25
LSZK, Switzerland

I don’t see any thing that is specific to an aircraft or a trust here: If one uses a vehicle cross border that belongs to a legal entity and not to oneself personally it is good practice to have a document issued by that legal entity that you are entitled to use the vehicle. If you drive a company car you typically get this letter together with the keys.

If you do not have that, it is not that the police in any country “can get you” but rather that it can take a little longer to verify that the ride has not been stolen …

Germany
Sign in to add your message