Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to dangerous places

“So, overall crime rates down, but because some of the (reducing number of) crimes are perpetrated by people not born German, they are somehow worse or more dangerous?”

I’d say so, yes. A country is effectively stuck with those born there, but has a choice about letting others in. As an immigrant myself, I think immigrants should be held to a very high standard of behaviour. We are guests in the host country and should behave accordingly.

Last Edited by Katamarino at 19 Nov 18:06
Kent, UK

As an immigrant myself, I agree

Getting back to our travels to dodgy places, funnily enough the airports in the most dodgy countries are perhaps the most secure.

Airports in much of Europe are open to anybody who feels like climbing over the fence – if there is a fence – when it’s dark.

One pilot on EuroGA got a suspected dose of sand in his fuel tanks while parked in Turkey.

@aeroplus probably knows quite a bit about flying to dodgy places.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Noe wrote:

wonder what would be their travel advisory for the US by the US. It definitely feels to me like a more dangerous place than Germany (mostly due to perverse side effects of 2nd amendment).

I generally don’t care much about these anyway, and just avoid zones that are obviously very high risk. Living in fear is a sad thing

I was recently checked out for rental at Santa Ana airport in California (KSNA). During the checkout flight, we made a landing at Compton (KCMP). The FI causally remarked that Compton was located in a poor area and that when people had been drinking on Saturday night they sometimes fired at aircraft. She also said you had to pass five (!) gates to get into the airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think maps like this don’t reflect reality, because the demographic is left out. For instance Sweden, you have a small area called Malmö pushing the crime rate up, while the rest is low as ever It’s the same in the USA. small pockets of high density areas with very high crime rate, while 99.99 % of the total land area is safe as a kindergarten.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Timothy wrote:

So, overall crime rates down, but because some of the (reducing number of) crimes are perpetrated by people not born German, they are somehow worse or more dangerous?

It can be said that the Germans, and I suppose this is similar in other European countries, are less criminal than in former times. However there is a strong increase in crime of people who are influenced in archaic cultures, where conflicts are naturally resolved by force. Therefore more murder, knife attacks and rape in western Europe. The problem is exacerbated by a particular religion, whose followers claim that any suffering can be inflicted on the unbelievers. That means both worse and more dangerous.

Peter wrote:

As an immigrant myself, I agree

Obviously there are different qualities of immigrants.

Berlin, Germany

So, The Bridge is a reflection of reality?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Back to topic, who has felt unsafe flying to any country in Europe?

Noe wrote:

who has felt unsafe flying to any country in Europe?

Crossing Hadrian’s wall past the end of civilization always makes you feel a little more unsafe…

Out of interest is Sweeden above the non insignificant because of all the hand grenade / explosive attacks?

Maybe instead of maps (highly subjective) we should get concrete reports of people having felts unsafe having flow GA to places. Otherwise we end up with thread drifts, here almost at a record starting with post #2 (and I’d say even Peter’s maps are a bit off-subject as I think no one will ever claim having flown to one of those “riskier countries” – 2nd safest on scale – has ever felt unsafe by flying there, and I’m sure he didn’t want to start another immigrant discussion).

Last Edited by Noe at 19 Nov 21:02

I’ll start – I’ve flown in Lebanon (internal flight only), which many would likely consider unsafe, but didn’t feel any sort of thread. However, we didn’t venture to the south of Beirut, as apparently there is a risk of ground fire (from Hezbollah controlled zones), or from the air (missiles from neighbouring trigger happy F15s making incursions into Lebanese territory)

Sign in to add your message