Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to dangerous places

LeSving wrote:

For instance Sweden, you have a small area called Malmö pushing the crime rate up, while the rest is low as ever

Well, it’s about more places than Malmö, but yes. What we are seeing now is a strong increase in internal violence among criminal gang members. If you don’t belong to that group or to people associated with that group (such as family) the risk of being hit by a crime is as low as ever.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Noe wrote:

we should get concrete reports of people having felts unsafe having flow GA to places

Judging by my pax reactions: Cherbourg under renovation (Sunday afternoon: no human, no food, no fuel, no water, no toilettes) and Beccles another weekend

Peter wrote:

Getting back to our travels to dodgy places, funnily enough the airports in the most dodgy countries are perhaps the most secure.
Airports in much of Europe are open to anybody who feels like climbing over the fence – if there is a fence – when it’s dark.

While we are at it DM has the full story debunked,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4118746/Open-Door-Britain-SUE-REID-exposes-Britain-s-small-airfields-vulnerable-terrorists-illegal-immigrants.html

The map is subjective and changes with experience: nothing wrong with feeling more safe in own’s place apart from missing the fun in other places

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If Israel counts, then I have both flown there in GA and felt unsafe. Also Sicily, but that was a long time ago.

I have never felt unsafe in Malta, but I feel that I probably was.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

I was recently checked out for rental at Santa Ana airport in California (KSNA). During the checkout flight, we made a landing at Compton (KCMP). The FI causally remarked that Compton was located in a poor area and that when people had been drinking on Saturday night they sometimes fired at aircraft. She also said you had to pass five (!) gates to get into the airport.

Only 200 km away there is a city with very strict firearm laws and a murder rate almost ten times higher than Compton… but regardless the movie wasn’t named at random… Compton is notorious among pilots for being an airport located right in the hub of urban gang activity.

Out of curiosity I looked on line for any record of people shooting at aircraft at Compton airport, and didn’t find anything. Maybe police helicopters? Urban legends doubtless abound. Here is what you actually have to do to drive your car onto the ramp at Compton… pull up and type in code.

Compton_pdf

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Nov 00:10

This is a bizarre discussion on a GA forum. Had to double check if I had been re-routed to The Sun

EGTR

What s dangerous in Malta? (Other than maybe venturing to the Northern Africa coast ). Genuine question as might do a flight there in the not too far future

Noe wrote:

What s dangerous in Malta?

It is operated, top to bottom, by corruption and criminality. Second only to Lichtenstein.

But if you don’t get involved and just do the tourist sites you’ll be fine. That’s what I mean by not feeling unsafe, but you’re probably one wrong move from real trouble at all times.

EGKB Biggin Hill

we should get concrete reports of people having felts unsafe having flow GA to places

Yes indeed. Those who have done Africa can probably tell a few stories. @2greens1red maybe? Others here have done west Africa… @jojo @vrh ?

I have never felt unsafe anywhere I have flown by GA.

At some places you are aware that it would not take much to get a shoot-out. Years ago I flew to Tirana, Albania. AK47s everywhere. Even the guys carrying brooms and sweeping the taxiways had them. You sort of realise that there is “trouble” around and people are nervous. It’s like Luxor, Egypt. Lots of security, and a lot of it in plain clothes (but fairly obvious).

I was pretty scared at Avignon, though some say a French policeman would never shoot in that situation. Why carry a gun then? Surely police always shoot at somebody attempting to escape?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

QuoteSurely police always shoot at somebody attempting to escape?

I think that’s definitely not true in Western Europe.
I think the police would generally need to prove that that was done to protect others from harm.
How many people do you see killed by the police as they are fleeing the police in the UK?

I personally think the probability of you being shot on that occasion was probably similar to you dying from and engine failure on take off.
The police would certainly have gotten into massive trouble.

They carry the guns because all police carry guns (unnecessarily in my view, we got a great example in the UK how it works without), and customs police probably has to deal with armed drug dealers

Last Edited by Noe at 19 Nov 22:57

Noe wrote:

I think that’s definitely not true in Western Europe.

I agree. Over the last decade or so Sweden has had a disturbing trend of police killing more and more people – several times as many per year now as 10 years ago – but never just for trying to escape. (It is apparently a result of changed tactics more than anything else.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message