Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

kwlf wrote:

In a way they do. Lots of data is being supplied about the importance of comorbidities on mortality.

The biggest factor in mortality is age.

Yes, exactly. So what does a Corona mortality rate of 3.6% mean? Except making hysteria in the media and elsewhere 3.6% is a huge number when simply looking at it. But, looking closer at the statistics, it basically means people at 80+ will on average live shorter. Looking even closer still, it means that it will kill those over 80 whose health already is very deteriorated, and wouldn’t live very much longer in any case. Being a bit cynical, this can hardly be seen as a huge problem for the society as a whole. For those who die, it is catastrophic of course. Still, it’s the combination of age, other illnesses and Corona that kills, and age being the biggest factor by far. Not a single person under 10 has died.

One has to wonder if something similar also exists in GA mortality rate, only the factors are much more illusive. Some simply are more survivable than others. Some are less likely to end up in bad situations, and when they do, they are less likely to screw it up completely. It’s hard (impossible perhaps?) to pinpoint the exact factors, because one of the largest factors is the hours flown each year. Flying more hours means longer exposure and higher risk regardless, pure and simple. But I think that a few are “fatal accidents waiting to happen”, while some other few are practically “immune”. Most are in between somewhere. The point is, those who make the statistics, are predominantly those on the wrong end of the scale, but mixed in with those flying lots of hours.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well yes, that’s what 3.6% means. If it just took the moribund it might be a blessing for many of them. But it also takes a share of younger, fitter people. I know a few doctors in their mid 40s to 60s with only one lung/severe lung disease, and a 27 year old one with brittle asthma. These are all people who will be at high risk, but who sans-virus would expect to live 20-60 years more.

From here

Boy did the WHO screw up

Yes, it is indeed sad, to say the least.

I’m not sure if any global organization (without power to implement decisions) could have been successful to stop a virus which is spreading out thanks to our globalised way of living.

However, in my personal risk assessment, to me this all appears a bit overdone. On a funny way, sales of Corona beer declined massively as people think that’s the source of the virus

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

C210_Flyer wrote:

Boy did the WHO screw up. They should disband those clowns.

It’s quite easy pointing the fingers at the WHO. Who did screw up royally is China. They knew there was something going on before the end of last year but kept it under the carpet until it spilled over. Had they isolated that town there and then and called the alarm, as they are required to by WHO rules, this could have been contained as a small outbreak. Now it has become a world wide pandemic whose biggest damage is not even in the actual illness for most people but in massive restrictions to their lifes and businesses, not to talk about financial ruin. China should be held accountable, but obviously that is not going to happen.

MikeWhiskey wrote:

However, in my personal risk assessment, to me this all appears a bit overdone

No way. Reaction was way too slow, way too half hearted. People are grumbling about a 2 -4 week curfew, closing borders e.t.c. but that is what would have worked. Switerzland alone has been infected ONLY by Italian carriers and visitors to there for example. Had they closed the border to Italy immediately when this came out and contained all folks who had visited there without exception, they could have managed to hold it in low numbers. Once it spread beyond, the only way to really contain it would have been a TOTAL wartime like closure of all public spaces, businesses, financial markets, public transport, the lot save for a few food stores and hospitals under war time quarantine, that is no more routine checks, operations, e.t.c. Well, they did not have the balls to do that and now the price will explode to a factor not even calculable so far. It is not that there are not planes for that, for biowar for instance, but they are of little use in the closet of governments if they are not implemented.

Now, we are going to see a massive recession, probably millions of virus carriers and a virus which has already put the 2008 financial meltdown to shame. A two -four week shutdown would not have done anywhere close to that damage.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

we are going to see a massive recession, probably millions of virus carriers and a virus which has already put the 2008 financial meltdown to shame

While there is & will be a notable impact to the economy, the talks about a massive recession or the comparison with the 2008 crisis is a bit too much of drama. While we have faced the fasted sell-off so far in the history of the S&P500, we are very far away from a 2008 crisis.

Last Edited by Marcel at 07 Mar 12:46
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

China should be held accountable, but obviously that is not going to happen.

I think it’s too early to say for sure what long-term damage the Chinese government’s cover-up has done to its economy.

China has benefited hugely from globalisation. Now their new bat-soup virus is causing customers to weigh the advantages of shorter, more secure industrial supply chains.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

I have never actually heard of anybody dying from flu The mortality rate has to be really really small is my estimation

During the bad flu season of 2017/2018, 25000 people died of Influenza in Germany alone! Flu is a potentially fatal disease which the media does not usually report about because it has been around for ages…

A young, healthy intensive care nurse from our department, a mother of two, died during that outbreak…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

A young, healthy intensive care nurse from our department, a mother of two, died during that outbreak…

Make that 1 then. But I mean, you can die from falling out of your own bed at night if you are unlucky enough. Cause of death: sleeping. In fact my neighbor died during her sleep for no apparent cause at all. Her heart simply stopped. It’s just something that happens from time to time is the only cause I have heard from that particular case.

It’s a bit difficult to take this virus seriously IMO. The chance of dying from it for a healthy person is as good as zero. Nothing compared with all the other risks of living. But, the risk of being held in quarantine at some place for 2-3 weeks is actually quite high. If it’s in your home, no big problem, but travelling and being held in a foreign country is a very different experience I would think. Also the economic downturn this causes world wide. What will the end effects of this be?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

C210_Flyer wrote:

Boy did the WHO screw up.

How?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

emergency flow rate is

A doctor might chime in, but I’d guess 15 ltrs/minutes based on the max settings on the equipment I’m collecting for my next O2 system :)

Sign in to add your message