Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Haven’t heard anyone proposing that.

A few doctors have proposed that they would like to be infected with the minimum effective dose so that they had a better chance of survival than if they were (inevitably) exposed to the virus for the first time with a mega-dose, deeply inhaled.

It’s a point of view I can see the sense of, though I would want to spend a long time chatting to an expert before volunteering to be a subject. I’m not aware of anybody doing such trials, though it would surprise me if similar work has not been done in some less scrupulous countries.

Last Edited by kwlf at 09 Apr 21:00

Iceland was inviting random people from the phone book for testing. They had <1% positive at last data I saw. They were also looking at genotypes of the people.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Hm, another interesting case study: The aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt:

“We’ve tested almost the whole crew now. We still have about 1,000 tests to report out. But 3,170 tested negative, 416 tested positive, 187 of those were symptomatic, 229 were asymptomatic. We still have 1,164 pending results,” the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten told reporters at the Pentagon on Thursday.

Somehow I fail to see those high multiples of asymptomatics vs symptomatics that so many are hoping for. This is sailors, so presumably in their physical prime, not old overweight farts riddled with comorbidities.

Slovakia

The latest stats, in case anyone is still denying there is a measurable impact on mortality. Many countries are showing mortality 7 standard deviations above the norm. This is significant, and there is still a delay in the figures.

The British figures are here. local copy

This study suggests that you need a lot more than 2m when running or cycling.

It’s not surprising at all.

Local copy of report

This is also very interesting for what it might mean in the long term. Japan is paying its companies to pull production out of China. I think a lot of companies will do it anyway if they at all can, or at least use China for cheap items and purchase them at widely spaced intervals i.e. keep a lot of buffer stock. The whole idea of “just in time” works until it doesn’t.

And you would think the Chinese have learnt from this but I don’t think so. I am right now ordering 10k mouldings from there. We paid 2.5k for the tooling (about 25% of the UK cost) and they originally quoted USD 0.12 for the item. They have just increased it to USD 0.24, citing “covid-19”! A totally shameless f—k you way of doing business. Well, doing them in the UK would cost even more, but … the shipping from China will add something like USD 0.20 per item.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

Making a few false claims, such as that Sweden had reversed its course?

That is a false claim, yes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

kwlf wrote:

The latest stats

You could even had shown the previous week, it’s scarier:

Then again, why where we not scared and locking people in their homes in 2017?

EHLE, Netherlands

Because it was a known cause (bad influenza wave) known to revert to the norm, which it quickly did, and not a new virus which is still rampant, and nobody knows when/how it will stop.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 10 Apr 08:24
Biggin Hill

Does that excess mortality graph in Mar2017 use Mar2020 data to calculate averages or zscores? I am 100% sure 2020 uses 2017 data but not sure about the reverse?

Also along what Cobalt said, we are not talking about mean-reverting normal variables with identical distributions, so no point doing this kind of stats yet, maybe in 10 years when COVID19 deaths is a normal Gaussian variable?

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Apr 08:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

And before I forget – this is the UK data up to 5 April. Since then, 3,000 more people have died, so that graph is now off the scale at the top; with about twice as many deaths than expected.

What else do people need to be convinced that there are excess deaths, and that is much worse than a bad flu pandemic [excluding the 2018 one]?

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message