Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Rwy20 wrote:

I wonder where you may have found that

Was linked in a Canadian facebook group who have been discussing the virus in a quite educated manner.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think RWY20 was being ironic… because somebody else posted it earlier. Irony doesn’t look good on the internet.

It is an especially interesting study because it predicts what is actually happening. That is quite a rare thing in science

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

because somebody else posted it earlier

Ah, ok, I did not see that.

Yes I had posted it in this very thread a few days ago, and even put the link to my post there…

One more: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2770484

It seems that there is no “cytokine storm” beyond levels which you would normally expect in other patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome.

3574 posts now; not everybody reads them all. Actually I am sure most people have stopped reading this thread…

It would be good news if CV19 didn’t do long term organ damage. I know (from a cardiologist) that every respiratory disease does some damage but most people don’t get serious ones. I last had a proper “flu” in 1999…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Actually I am sure most people have stopped reading this thread…

I haven’t… It’s interesting to read how some people have been making cocksure assertions about what is going to happen and what must be done and then compare with what actually happens. (I’m not saying that I’m innocent, but I’ve really tried not to.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Sep 10:01
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well, my apology @Rwy20 it really escaped me that this is the same thing. Looks like others also only saw it now judging by some reactions. I can’t really quantify this report but I thought, like you apparently, that it warrants the interest of this quorum.

Peter wrote:

Actually I am sure most people have stopped reading this thread…

Well, me certainly not. It is one of the two threads I try to read up on every day or two, as we have the privilege of having some really knowledgeable people here who can put a perspective onto things and explain some of it to us lowly medical pedestrians.

It is quite interesting and alarming at the same time how much room for interpretation of the current figures appears to be left to decision makers all over the place. Personally I am hugely pessimistic about the immediate outlook and I see that other people with a better educated guestimate behind them than myself are getting worried too. Switzerland by the looks of it is on the best way to become internationally isolated as their figures approach the critical 60/100k inhabitant boundary which several countries use as the boundary for risk countries with all consequences such as quarantine e.t.c. At the same time that part of the press is starting to have massive 2nd thoughts about things like allowing mass events to reopen there is a frightening move to legitimize covid-ignorants who call for total dissolution of all measures in the name of freedom. My take on that is known here I suppose, I would think it would lead to complete escalation in a 2nd wave much worse than anything the world has seen since the Spanish flu or, possibly more relevant, the Russian one at the end of the 19th century.

The key question, which Peter asked a few days ago, is why numbers of infected are rising quite significantly in several countries for weeks now, while deaths are not.

I brought forward some answers but do not find them satisfactory myself.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

why numbers of infected are rising quite significantly in several countries for weeks now, while deaths are not.

Two things spring to mind:

1) physicians have got better at treating it, and;

2) it’s already killed a decent chunk of those it’s going to kill, and those getting it now are the less vulnerable.

EGLM & EGTN

I find it hard to buy those two reasons, because

1) They would have to have got massively better at treating it
2) That suggests that most people have been substantially exposed to it, AND (a popular current theory) many are somehow naturally immune

The 1st one ought to be obvious, if true, from medical staff reporting vastly improved (say 100x) survival rates (not seen any such reports).
The 2nd one is not supported by antibody tests in any country, so if true it must be some as yet unknown mechanism.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message