Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Apparently Argentina sends patients showing symptoms, but not severe requiring ICU, not home, to potentially infect other people, but to field hospitals for isolation.

They acted promptly, possibly with input from China, Cuba and Italy, in contrast to Brasil and México.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Could % of population who die of COVID-19 be proportional to “Aircraft Carriers per 10 million Population”. What Governments have chosen as priority to spend taxes on.

Our area has ninety-one (91) hospitals within about 30 miles of where I sit, so I’m not too worried on that score.

I could write about aircraft carrier expenses but won’t go there today – it’s the weekend and I’m going to enjoy it. I went to the airport today on my lunch hour, the whole ‘man cave’ thing is way overdone but like most similar things it has some truth. Always very relaxing. Some flying going on, my neighbor working on his Marchetti, fuel truck out and about etc. In my area people tend to be interested in common sense, less so on what the pretty boy governor has to say, and people doing their thing solo aren’t spreading anything to anybody. On the way back a cop behind me started making giant S-turns to slow down traffic still further behind. People on somewhat more open roads apparently like to go fast, especially given their status in conducting essential business

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 01:27

Silvaire wrote:

Our area has ninety-one (91) hospitals within about 30 miles of where I sit, so I’m not too worried on that score.

I hope you are right. Just back from the US, I think the uncoordinated response will lead to disaster. Hopefully your Governor is good as the Federal government is a mess.

EGTK Oxford

I’m not interested in what ‘my’ government does or doesn’t do in their ‘response’ – with the exception of funding medical research it’s irrelevant to my healthcare.

BTW, unlike me (I stick with strictly fact based EuroGA discussion) my wife likes to read irrational fantasy stuff for entertainment… this being an example published by some shyster ‘psychic’ book marketeer in 2004. Hard to know how to respond when she shows you this. I decided to say nothing, usually the right choice anyway

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 03:47

Silvaire wrote:

I’m not interested in what ‘my’ government does or doesn’t do in their ‘response’ – with the exception of funding medical research it’s irrelevant to my healthcare.

Sure you don’t have Swedish ancestors ? The same naivety is killing Swedes like flies these days. The thing with healthcare, there is only so much of it, and Corona eat health care capacity for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A modern hospital is built for efficiency. You get in, you are fixed, you get out, within a day if possible. This works great in a modern society, and intensive care is fine tuned to run on 90-100% capacity 24/7. Then Corona enters. The finely tuned system goes to overload within a day or two, and everyone can kiss proper health care goodbye, because doctors and nurses have to choose who are “fit” enough to have a fighting chance to survive.

The only known medicine that has proven to be effective, is social distance and hygiene combined with hard measures that severely restricts individual freedom and stops most corporations. These are measures that can only be done by a government, and the side effects can also only be remedied by a government.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Did you come back commercial, Jason? Someone I know had to leave their bizjet in South Africa and had huge hassles getting back to the UK. It made quite a story e.g. here.

The “Swedish experiment” is going to be watched with much interest, for sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

The same naivety is killing Swedes like flies these days.

And you said this wasn’t a competition?

Seriously, the people who are dying now are the ones that were infected 3-4 weeks ago. At that point in time Norway didn’t have any restrictions in place either.

Apparently a substantial number of recent deaths are in non-European immigrant groups who haven’t understood the warnings. The Swedish authorities have just recently started to provide information in a large number of immigrant languages. It was of course a serious mistake not to have thought of this earlier.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Mar 08:41
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

We got lucky with SARS

This is SARS, specifically SARS CoV-2. COVID19 is the disease.

Basically think of HIV and AIDS nomenclature. HIV is the virus. SARS is the virus. AIDS is the resulting disease. COVID19 is the resulting disease.

Andreas IOM

Biggin Hill

In a different vein, and in due course, I suspect the extent to which pretty much every country was totally unprepared will have to be considered. Have we seen something like three or four pandemics in the last 100 years? Is there pretty good evidence they come around with regularity? Is there any reason not to believe history will repeat itself?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1936949/

There is a great deal of equipment that could be mouthballed in storage and available. It might require some to be replaced on a cycle, but that is a price worth paying.

The 1968 flu pandemic killed over one million. I wonder if the numbers were many more, as there may have been a great deal of under reporting. Did the hospitals collapse under the strain? Interestingly, there isnt a great deal about the history of how we coped that time around, and what measures were introduced. My guess is the NHS didnt have any more capacity then, compared with now.

Sign in to add your message