Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

A slight problem with Hydroxychloroquine, is that i don’t believe it’s likely to change the infection rate. The virus is supposedly pretty infectious when one is asymptomatic.

It may well allow the infection rate to climb again, up to level the hospital can cope, but I can’t see how it can be a solution by itself.

Ted
United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

Without going into it yet again, it’s clear to me (as it has been since long before this particular virus came around) that lower population and in particular low population density is a very good thing if you want to enjoy being human while getting along with nature and resources.

I could not agree more, and don’t think I could ever live in a city.

Population control is a bullet that no politician seems willing to bite. When the world is being put to rights in various water cooler discussions I have often espoused the idea that Britain should be targeting a long-term population of perhaps 30-40m rather than the 60m we currently are. People are baffled, but then they are incentivised to breed.

EGLM & EGTN

Individuals in government that control a certain geographical land area are incentivized to make a population breed, by the metric of Power = Tax Revenue per Acre * Acres Controlled.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Apr 15:16

Risk calculator

I don’t think the questions are anywhere near enough detailed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

kwlf wrote:

1) Supply. There is a global shortage and the patients who need it for the traditional indications will suffer greatly if it is all repurposed to treat COVID.

It sounds that it is pretty easy to synthesis, and private labs did start to produce it in prevision it will be needed in a close futur. I wouldn’t worry too much about shortage, but more on the 2 other points.
I don’t know how it works in UK or Germany, but in France this drug can only be done by doctors that are familiar with a pre-protocol and a follow-up. The problem will come if people have free access to this…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 07 Apr 15:40
LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

while chloroquine has loads of side effects (which have been established over decades and are beyond dispute) and cannot just be dished out to lots of people.

Can you please provide your source for making that statement?

I was asked to do exactly that and I referenced Scientific Journals articles and dates. From the continued comments in this section I doubt anyone bothered to look them up.

KHTO, LHTL

How glad I am EuroGA doesn’t waste bandwidth on these self appointed sanctimonious policemen (from UK’s main GA chat site) who have nothing better to do than sit on FR24:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The info I have gotten is that the Virus was enhanced from a non transferrable pathogen via Chimera experimentation into a very infectious pathogen. These experiments were conducted in North Carolina University. Why make a strong pathogen only the NIH can tell you. There was a paper published about these experiments in 2015.

I haven’t read all your citations as they didn’t all seem relevant to the statement I asked you to justify. The 2015 Nature news article specifically said that they created a virus that did not cause severe illness in mice and did not infect human cells in vitro. It shows that there is a group in the US that could have probably engineered a virus similar to SARS-COV2 if they had tried, but does not show that they did so.

I had a colleague who spent her PhD studying how orange bananas had to look before the colour was perceived as unnatural. It would surprise me if there was no-one out there studying dangerous viruses, though I agree that deliberately mixing pathogenic strains seems a little bold.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that many countries could engineer a virus similar to SARS-COV2 if they set their minds to it. But equally I don’t think there’s any doubt that the virus could have been passed to humans naturally. Arguably what you or I see as the more likely probability says more about us than it does about what actually happened.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:

So do you think the world should be locked down until a proper vaccine is developed and tested. Oh about a year from now?

Pretty much,

Do you have any idea what a real quarantine involves? No Cops, No Garbagemen, No Utility (Lights and water) workers, No Sewage treatment workers, No Food services No Internet service. Eventually everything grinds to a halt. No Medical care except at infectious disease hospitals. All of those beds will be taken up by the elite and political leader class so dont bother to go there. I’ll bet you it will be less than 2 months before society breaks down.

The idiots in NYC are releasing people from jails because there is such a high percentage that has been infected. Isnt a prison a quarantine in a sense?

Since we dont know who were exposed. But what we do know is, that if they have been exposed then within 14 days they will have had to exhibit symptoms OR not. According to CDC 25-50% of the people have already had it but had no symptoms or symptoms so mild they did not consider it the virus. What we dont know is if there can be an asymptomatic carrier like Typhoid Mary. By the way she was Isolated after she broke quarantine.

Regarding testing. That is a tough one. Only by doing extensive trials can you know the specificty and the sensitivity of the test thereby having information about the number % of False positives and negatives. What is the interval between being infectious and the test giving a positive result.

I think they should quarantine those most likely to have serious outcomes. Unfortunately obesity is a precursor to, pulmonary, cardiac, diabetes and these people have the highest death rate. There are always exceptions to the rule but the numbers indicate that. The US is in big trouble since more than 40% of the population is considered Obese.

In short everyone will be exposed to it eventually. Whether you will get sick is another story. How many have never had the Flu?

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Can you please provide your source for making that statement?

I was asked to do exactly that and I referenced Scientific Journals articles and dates. From the continued comments in this section I doubt anyone bothered to look them up.

Unfortunately none of those seemed at all relevant.

C210_Flyer wrote:

I think they should quarantine those most likely to have serious outcomes. Unfortunately obesity is a precursor to, pulmonary, cardiac, diabetes and these people have the highest death rate. There are always exceptions to the rule but the numbers indicate that. The US is in big trouble since more than 40% of the population is considered Obese.

In short everyone will be exposed to it eventually. Whether you will get sick is another story. How many have never had the Flu?

In this I agree with you. The restrictions do need to be lifted ASAP. So long as they can keep a handle on ICU cases.

Peter wrote:

I know this is unusual for me but I am fairly optimistic on the future course.

Who are you and what have you done with Peter?

C210_Flyer wrote:

JasonC wrote:
The information you have from the nutty One America News Network??? Come on. They make Fox News look left wing!
You bias is showing.

You might be surprised. I just don’t like biased news, left or right.

Last Edited by JasonC at 07 Apr 17:03
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message