Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

However, seriously, I do not believe that other countries in Europe are not seeing these abuses of power. It just doesn’t get posted here.

You really want to read about a forced presidential “election” to be done 100% by post, because a certain height challenged member of Parliament wants it so? An “election” in which you have to put a sheet with your PPI into the same envelope where you put your “vote”? An “election” where nobody knows who will be doing the counting and if they will be watched by any third party? I think all of us here would rather talk about which rinse is better for our planes… :)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

hmng wrote:

The yearly figures were meant to keep things in perspective to the crowd that kept saying millions were going to die.

What is the point of keeping perspective over one year just to think about what is going to happen in next month?

Ok, let’s pick UK, how many people will die all causes according to your model/understanding over Apr/Mai months? are you saying 80k deaths as in a normal weeks/years? and worst case 120k deaths with series of 8 worst 15k weeks from 2014/2015?

I am not saying millions in UK will die in these two months, the number looks in the 200k even with a strict lockdown…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

You really want to read about a forced presidential “election” to be done 100% by post, because a certain height challenged member of Parliament wants it so? An “election” in which you have to put a sheet with your PPI into the same envelope where you put your “vote”? An “election” where nobody knows who will be doing the counting and if they will be watched by any third party? I think all of us here would rather talk about which rinse is better for our planes… :)

I’ve read about it… I do feel sorry for you.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Greece:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Greece:

Let’s hope it stays that way when they open back up and that they do so wisely. Greece depends on tourism but they will have to survive this and possibly the next summer without it. If they open up for tourism, their efforts will have been in vain.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The humble pulse – oxymeter to the rescue?

Read this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Apparently many Covid-19 patients only turn up at the ER once their pneumonia has laready progressed very far. An early alert system comes from – the pulse oxymeter, something we all have in our flightbags. I’m now checking my O2 levels daily…

A pulse oxymeter is an excellent screening tool because it takes just seconds to get a reading and is inexpensive. In emergency medicine we use it on almost any patient no matter what symptoms they report, so that we can quickly exclude the major condition of hypoxia.

The problem for the typical age group of Covid-19 patients is that many of them will already have had a reduced saturation before they contract the virus, so it is difficult to have a baseline for making treatment decisions. In intensive care, SpO2>90% is entirely satisfactory for most patients.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

It looks like Apple might enable the integrated oxymeter with the next Apple Watch (or maybe even for existing models with some software update):
https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/08/apple-watch-blood-oxygen-saturation/

More reports from the Daily Trash that the NHS is doing exactly what I posted earlier, with “approved suppliers”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some interesting figures wrt excess deaths during the current pandemic. Doesn’t really look like a flu season…

See here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Sign in to add your message