Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Cobalt wrote:

This is roughly in line with the UK stats, which found 83% of all people who died had Covid-19 as the primary cause of death; 61 of 65 are 93%.

Yes, this is well within the margin of error for such a sample size, so I expected the "true figure to be somewhere between 95 and 75%. This clearly debunks the oft perpetuated argument that these patients die with Covid-19 instead of from it. A postmortem is the gold standard to determine cause of death, after all.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Given that those dying of Covid-19 in hospital are mostly dying of pneumonia, it was pretty obvious, I would say; while I am a layperson I think even I could distinguish between a heart attack and pneumonia, given a few hints.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

while I am a layperson I think even I could distinguish between a heart attack and pneumonia, given a few hints.

That reminds me of the Cameron and McGoogan study done in the early 80s on inaccuracies in death certification. Perhaps things have improved since. Part 1, part 2.

London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there a similar chart for the numbers entering hospital each day?

I don’t think so.

EGTK Oxford

Qalupalik wrote:

That reminds me of the Cameron and McGoogan study done in the early 80s on inaccuracies in death certification

Fair enough, I probably overestimate my abilities considerably… i’ll stick to high level numerical estimates from now on. ;-)

Biggin Hill

Looking at all that is written about this plague, it is simply horrifying how few is really known about this thing with any sort of accuracy.

Are kids really not in danger and can’t be dangerous to adults as those who want to open schools again claim? Or is the German doc right who sais “Every school is a small Ischgl”? How can normal people judge whether it is safe to send their kids to school again? Thankfully for me the question only will be acute in August but it is a huge problem.

What is the story about the re-infections? Now also China has them. If this is true, then there goes the herd immunity.

It also looks as if the current decline in numbers is just a temporary respite pending the opening of the restrictions set out. Most virologists and the WHO fully expect the true catastrophe only to happen in the 2nd wave, which is what happened in the Spanish flu. So why open up at all? It is absolutely horrible to see how politicians are willing to sacrifice the health of millions of people on the altar of the economy. After a 2nd wave with the possible lethality of the Spanish Flu or even larger there won’t be any economy left.

And what I read is that the serum tests are so totally inaccurate that they are now banned in most places as they do not conform to health standards, in other words, they are fake tests issued by the Chinese. I wonder if the world community will eventually find together in this and will punish the Chinese for this plague and their now open profiteering. IMHO, the total cost of this whole thing should be put at their doorstep. If they fail to pay, as they now own lots of assets in the countries where the biggest damage happens, maybe confiscate the lot as reparation pay? Or will that, as some say, trigger yet another rider of the Apokalypse (one being sickness) in the form of WW3?

Cheery times anyway.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It is absolutely horrible to see how politicians are willing to sacrifice the health of millions of people on the altar of the economy.

Hmmm…Am I the only person that wonders what happens if we have no economy left after this (ie money, jobs etc). I mean, does “the government” have a magic money tree I dont know about? I think that the train of thought is, that it doesnt really matter how many people are “saved” if none of them have a way to make a living afterwards – might we then be thinking it would have been better if a few less people had been “saved”? That is certainly not something I want to really think about too much…

And another thing. I saw a short clip on one of the ME news channels the other day talking about the effect that the lack of economic activity in the 1st world was having on those in poorer countries. It could turn out that for every life “saved” now in a 1st world country, 10, 20, 50 or 100 could be lost in 3rd world countries in the following years depending upon how long it takes “us” to recover. If Europe thinks it has an immigration problem now, what about after this…

Too controversial? I hope so, for all of us.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Are kids really not in danger and can’t be dangerous to adults as those who want to open schools again claim? Or is the German doc right who sais “Every school is a small Ischgl”?

If that was the case, the situation in Sweden would be very different from what it is as we have not closed schools.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If that was the case, the situation in Sweden would be very different from what it is as we have not closed schools.

Current stats say that Germany has 63 deaths per million, Sweden has 192. Finland has not closed the schools (but closed Helsinki ), they have 27. We have 34, and did close the schools.

I don’t think closing schools has had any effect whatsoever. It’s the other things that has had an effect. Covid-19 (we need a better name) is likely to become a mild seasonal child disease in the near future, and will do much less harm than influenza (according to those who know).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I don’t think closing schools has had any effect whatsoever. It’s the other things that has had an effect.

In the case of Sweden, it is becoming more and more probable that mismanagement of care homes is the main reason why we have a high number of deaths compared to other Nordic countries.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message