Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Well, yes… reading the ski forums in Feb/March didn’t exactly fill one with an unbounded admiration of the human race.

OTOH so many people book and pay anything up to a year in advance, struggling to afford the one family ski trip a year (if you go skiing to the Alps, kids are an extremely expensive lifestyle accessory ) and predictably unwilling to lose the 4 digits. And with national governments not declaring the region a no-go, they could not get insurance payouts.

I am sure there will be changes in the future. Maybe govts will declare a region “no-go” much faster. So insurance will likely increase a lot, or be unobtainable. Insurers hate this sort of thing; a lot of small business owners are finding that the insurers are walking away from “business interruption” policies, and I reckon there will be a lot of litigation because everything not expressly excluded is included.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Perhaps EuroGA and PPL/IR apologists for the Chinese Communist Party (PPL/IR censors having banned any reference to a “Chinese virus” or “CCP-virus” on their closed discussion group ) could tell us which other government is doing this:

Simple, it seems to happen in Switzerland:

The corona-critical Swiss doctor, who was arrested by a special unit of the Swiss police and sent to a psychiatric clinic (see update of April 15), has meanwhile been released. A report by the magazine Weltwoche revealed that the doctor was arrested on false grounds: there had been no threat to relatives or authorities and there had been no possession of a loaded weapon. Thus, a politically motivated operation seems likely.

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 29 Apr 09:19

could tell us which other government is doing this: Online activists disappear after battle with censors in China

Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Anna Politkovskaya and many more came to my mind…

I think it’s totally different to a ruling party actively covering up and lying about a virus which has spread accross the globe.

I’m aware at least of one ruling party that denies climate change despite all scientific evidence

It’s absurd to apply different criteria to countries and regimes we like and don’t like.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This seems an absurd stretch. I thought trump has spoken about hydroxychloroquine

Which is the same.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Anna Politkovskaya and many more came to my mind…

How about the Chinese organ harvesting and getting pretty close to committing genocide on uigur muslims in their country? Putting them into “re-education” camps. Or you know, the fake medicines being used by hospitals within China. It’s a totally different order of magnitude. I think it’s probably fair to note that there must be a reason many many of these viruses and epidemics seem to originate in that part of the world.

Emir wrote:

I’m aware at least of one ruling party that denies climate change despite all scientific evidence

This is perhaps a poorly thought out statement. you seem to be mixing up the idea of man made climate change and the climate changing over time. Also there is scientific evidence going a number of ways, as has been discussed here in depth. The all sweeping statement is just wrong.

Perhaps if this is such an issue for you maybe the way to deal with it is to go to the main polluter (oh, funnily enough it’s communist China) rather than trying to hammer down countries who are already doing a lot and are much smaller so have far less impact on the global scale.

There’s a difference between being disappeared and going on the run – which is what Assange and Snowden did. Chelsea Manning would have been dealt with very differently in most countries outside of the US or Europe. Anna Politkovskaya has been murdered. The West behaves badly in many respects, but is in a very different league from Russia or China.

Last Edited by kwlf at 29 Apr 09:58

Emir wrote:

Which is the same.

You’ve totally failed to answer the questions about it. You pointed all the blame at Trump, yet it has also been suggested by other’s including governor cuomo. You also fail to really cite any evidence.

I do know that the democrat representative Karen Whitsett has said it saved her life and credited the president for talking about it.

I’m certainly not saying that it is the answer, but I’m getting tired of hearing nonsense broad statements that just aren’t true. The guy is far from perfect but he does appear to be trying to do the best for his country in the face of pretty deranged opposition.

Cool this a bit, guys…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Off_Field wrote:

he does appear to be trying to do the best for his country

That may well be true.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you google ‘Hydroxychloroquine trials’ the results have not been promising, and the mortality in the Hydroxychloroquine groups has been significantly higher in many of the trials. In some but not all cases this might be because it was given to sicker patients and not randomised properly.

I am disappointed as I wanted it to work. The fact that it does seem to kill people doesn’t mean that it was wrong to try it (except in retrospect, which shouldn’t count), but does mean that it was correct to investigate it as part of proper trials rather than just handing them out to anyone who felt optimistic.

The fact that a Democrat thinks it saved her doesn’t mean that it is so.

Sign in to add your message