Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Southern Utah continues to look good to me (Properly minimized government ‘directions’ with corona virus death rate 4% of that in the UK)

A BBC piece today was bemoaning US nurses being laid off. Oddly enough I don’t think its unusual that people can’t be paid by their employer when there is no work, especially when their normal salary is double what a UK or European nurse makes. ($130K average for a BSN in California, a state of 40 million people with a lot of nurses who would like to continue working) Hospitals cleared out and waiting, no work, no money… What a wild concept, I’m sure they’ll get their head around it some day

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Apr 21:57

Silvaire wrote:

Southern Utah looks good to me (Properly minimized government ‘directions’ with corona virus death rate 4% of that in the UK)

So what is the UK death rate? Unless you know how many people have had it, you can’t calculate the rate.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

So what is the UK death rate?

394 deaths per 1 million population. Link

Southern Utah continues to look good to me

We have had thirty something cases in my county which has about the same population as Southern Utah. There are going to be backwaters in every country. But coming to live in them can’t be an universal solution.

Silvaire wrote:

394 deaths per 1 million population. Link

Come back to me when you are including care home deaths in the numbers. As I said, we won’t really know until this thing is over how each country did. There is no reason to expect long term differences unless there are genetic reasons why certain populations die or societal reasons like older populations.

Less densely populated areas may last longer until a vaccine is found.

EGTK Oxford

Less densely populated areas may last longer until a vaccine is found.

Also the lockdown came in time for us here, but was late for London. If ever Londoners become immune before us though, we’ll be in a bad way as nobody much will care what happens here.

kwlf wrote:

We have had thirty something cases in my county which has about the same population as Southern Utah. There are going to be backwaters in every country. But coming to live in them can’t be an universal solution.

In my area of two cities and suburbs totaling approximately 5 million people, the population density is somewhat higher and yes, as a result the death rate is higher: 9% of that in the UK as a whole, with much less regulatory nonsense. It’s still excessive nonsense perpetrated by uneducated, power hungry little bureaucrats and as a result my views in relation to the local situation are somewhat more Jeffersonian

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure” Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith, a diplomatic official in London, November 13, 1787

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Apr 23:13

Silvaire wrote:

In my area of two cities and suburbs totaling approximately 5 million people, the population density is somewhat higher and yes, as a result the death rate is higher: 9% of that in the UK as a whole, with much less regulatory nonsense. It’s still excessive nonsense perpetrated by uneducated, power hungry little bureaucrats and as a result my views in relation to the local situation are somewhat more Jeffersonian

Where in the USA are you? You never seem to say. Given two cities is it Minneapolis?

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Apr 23:17
EGTK Oxford

The time you learn not to put too much info on the internet may be when you get your first mentally ill stalker causing you serious problems. That was my experience anyway, FWIW. Once upon a time I used to use my real name etc. Some years ago I learned that it wasn’t to my advantage.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Apr 23:25

Silvaire wrote:

The time you learn not to put too much info on the internet may be when you get your first mentally ill stalker causing you serious problems. That was my experience anyway, FWIW. Once upon a time I used to use my real name etc. Some years ago I learned that it wasn’t to my advantage.

Ok. I couldn’t care who you are but just easier to talk specifics when you refer so much to where you live. Most of us have our local airport on our profiles.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message