Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

This is an amazing animation

Indeed! I found the “terrorism” bar particularly interesting as that’s what people are generally worried about when there’s no pandemic going on.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This new treatment is a total game changer

Coronavirus: Trial shows experimental drug prevents 79% of COVID-19 cases from progressing

On the topic, I am on the Scilly Isles and had to get masks out for the first time… Had a big stack of them from a company we use in China. NHS lookalike. Guess what? All are crap. The elastic comes right off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Guess what? All are crap.

This just in… ;)

Interesting summary if you thought a vacinne was just a vacinne…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/21/uk-targets-12-covid-19-vaccines-from-around-the-world

Ted
United Kingdom

Some very interesting graphs from the FT.

Particularly this one showing excess mortality by country:

Interesting graphic @kwlf
Thank you for posting this

Now we have news of undertakers going out of business and asking their govts for money, because the CV19 deaths are very low, but because people aren’t going out much, the other deaths are way down also, which is bad for overall business…

We are certainly enjoying the fact that we haven’t caught as much as a sniff of a cold since February… it shows the most likely source in our case as being cafes, keep fit classes, the gym…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

This is an amazing animation
Indeed! I found the “terrorism” bar particularly interesting as that’s what people are generally worried about when there’s no pandemic going on.

Like with every graphic – esp. if it is catchy – one needs to carefully look at what is actually shown.

In this case everything but the Bar for Corona is not real data but a (very simple) model! It has little to do with reality!

Let’s take terrorism as an example: The numbers look pretty strongly like taking the average of deaths by terrorism as reported by the GTD for the years 2015-2018. That average would be 36.165 deaths per year which the creator of this animation rounded to 99 deaths per day. He now animated the graph in a way that every single day in 2020 the no. of terrorism deaths is exactly 99. It looks like he did the very same approach (with different sources and timeframes for the yearly number) for every bar except for Covid.

Is that reflecting reality? Clearly not!
Is that a good proxy for reality? Very questionable. Let’s take terrorism again. The actual numbers for 2015 to 2018 are 44k, 39k, 35k and 26k respectively. There is no numbers for 2019 (and surely none for 2020) so far – but the likelihood that it will be 36k in 2020 is quite low, isn’t it?

For diabetes the number used in the animation is 3753 deaths per day. That is about 1.4 mio per year. This number is definitely on the low end as WHO says 1.6 mio in 2016, IDF even talks about 4.2 mio in 2019

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 23 Jul 12:58
Germany

@Malibuflyer
Maybe you like it from the New York Times instead…
If not, please prepare the ‘real’ graphs for the benefit of those who aren’t as supremely gifted in discerning ‘questionable’ graphs.

AF wrote:

Maybe you like it from the New York Times instead…
If not, please prepare the ‘real’ graphs for the benefit of those who aren’t as supremely gifted in discerning ‘questionable’ graphs.

I was not referring to these graphs but on the one with the comparison of daily daily deaths to other causes of death linked earlier.
And for that one I have no idea where one could get the real data for – there simply is no source for global death each day from suicide, diabetes and not even cancer…

Germany
Sign in to add your message