Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Ibra wrote:

I personally don’t believe Corona virus is 3 times more infectious and 20 more deadly than a normal flu (what is looks now), t

Me neither. I think the mortality rate must be higher than flu simply because the population has zero immunity to this new virus. But the more data we have, the more likely the overall mortality rate will fall. Probably below 1%.

A virologist commented that we still massively underestimate the spread of the virus because due to the incubation period and delays in testing, the currently reported figure represents the number of infected people 10 days ago

Last Edited by MedEwok at 13 Mar 13:29
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

JasonC wrote:

This is why the UK argues that closing schools etc should be left as late as possible. Including that many kids would have to be looked after by elderly relatives which may not be ideal right now.

Of course, you are right.

Apparently there will be an “emergency” childcare service for children whose parents work in healthcare, fire services, rescue services or the police…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Someone could explain me as a prime minister can say " many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time" so lightly ?
For sure any CAA clerk would have continued imposing regulations on regulations without caring of the costs.
Maybe it means a old guy flying a old plane is really someone special !!

Last Edited by ormazad at 13 Mar 15:21
Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Did he say it “lightly”? I watched the conference. I thought it was effectively delivered, and not excessively patronising which is usually the problem with these things.

Most people are completely ignorant – beyond hitting the shops and buying 1000 toilet rolls, 1000 tins of spaghetti, 1000 tins of baked beans… if you could buy an AK47 they would have a dozen and probably buy the wrong ammo for it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He said stay at home and wash your hands .
To me it is a light approach and it’s not the job of a prime minister to say that . I don’t know if what our prime minister told us is the right or wrong solution but he didn’t tell us to stay at home and wash hands . And, be sure , everyone with a smartphone , every singer , actor, media guy is telling that on every social.

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

That’s very different to saying the what you quoted was said “lightly”.

It’s a difficult one as he will be criticized no matter what he says, it will be too little or too draconian.

I think there’s probably a surprising amount who just don’t wash their hands even if they’re told.

Well, yesterday the government announced here that all schools, Universities, childcare facilities, museums and cultural attractions would shut for two weeks, and ask that all outdoor events with more than 500 people and indoor events with 100 people stop, and those that can work from home do so.

The rush hour traffic was non-existent today. The public transport system was empty. Some small businesses have decided to close for the 2 weeks. Many many people working from home. Many events cancelled. Church obligations cancelled. Weddings, funerals, etc limited to 100 people.

The talk among the people is that the government haven’t gone far enough, because allowing pubs/restaurants/cafes to stay open and international travel to continue will mean this will take a long time to resolve, and stopping everything Italy/China style would solve it far quicker and be less harmful in the long run.

There is also an expectation among the population that it’s just the stepping up and in a week there will be an Italy/China style lockdown.

Oh, and within hours of the announcement the supermarkets was overrun with shoppers panic buying.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

same thing here in Switzerland. All schools closed until April 4th which if I am not mistaken is the beginning of the spring vaccations.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We should all read this

I have skipped a number of pages on this thread, apologies if it has already been published.

ESMK, Sweden

Scottish (Not UK) Government response to NHS Highland cancelling operations:
“A Scottish Government spokesman said: “We have been clear with boards that they will maintain a full cancer and urgent service. Cancer operations should not be cancelled and we fully expect NHS Highland to ensure patients are treated in line with their clinical priority.
I’m not encouraged by this statement, suspecting the Government may have failed to understand the situation.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message