Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Off_Field wrote:

Hasn’t the EU just fined Italy 7million Euros for subsidising hotels or something similar? Not ideal timing for them.

Source?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Source?

First google link for you looks as if they’re also getting an 80’000 euro daily fine until they pay up. How compassionate.

MedEwok wrote:

A pandemic of this sort was “overdue” in medical terms and this one will probably still play out much less deadly than the 1918 “Spanish Flu” where 50 million people perished

In the H1N1 (Swine Flu) pandemic only about 10 years ago, an estimated 200,000 people died worldwide of which 12,500 were in the US. So far this one is at 5,800 worldwide and 57 in the US, of which over 70% are in one small geographic area of the US. The numbers are rising but the current US number of fatalities from Coronavirus is equivalent to about 13 hours of US traffic accidents.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 01:28

Silvaire wrote:

Yep, and symptomatic of the modern very retrograde world of fear and irrationality, encouraged by government in its own interests.

Hmm. To say that the government has any self interest in this is just nonsense. This is not a government decision. LT is fully independent. The head of LT is appointed by the King, and as such, he/she can only be fired by the King. He can to whatever he wants in principle, as long as it is within his jurisdiction.

Besides, the Corona threat is real. There are absolutely no reasons to believe each and everyone of us will not experience first hand what they experience in Italy. The capacity of health personnel is only so large. It will be pushed to the limit, and most probably far beyond. Every inch of capacity may save lives. Personally I feel it is very far from correct that my personal amusement shall hold up much needed vital capacity. This is the reason LT gives,. They don’t go into details, but knowing LT, I am reasonable sure they would not do this unless they feel they absolutely have to. Just because I don’t know every details behind this, doesn’t mean there are none.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is highly unlikely that the this corona virus is a bioweapon. A bioweapon should have

• High mortality
  • Low infection rate

What we are seeing now is just the opposite.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, and the number of infections doubles roughly every three days, diagnosed infections lag by about 10 and deaths by about another ten or more days. Which means around 10x the reported cases are already infected, and 100 times more people are likely to die in those countries where this is not yet contained. And all that in the next month or so.

I hope somebody corrects me on the deaths, but I am certain the infection numbers are correct.

Exponential growth is a b”tch, we are quite far away from the s-curve getting to the middle.

The only thing we don’t know is what the percentage of the population which develops symptoms is. If it is true that a large number of cases is mild and undetected, this will end earlier and growth will slow sooner than otherwise.

Biggin Hill

Some govt adviser was on the TV last night saying absolutely categorically that you are not infectious if you have no symptoms. This was jaw-dropping. He either knows something nobody else seems to have known for ages, or this is a new discovery, or he should be sacked.

Just read that AirB&B and doing 100% refunds. This was really unexpected. Presumably they must have some insurance cover for this. No sign of Booking.com doing the same though, and most hotels will not refund you anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Glasgow Airport parked a tractor behind each FlyBe aircraft, obviously to prevent it being moved…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

obviously to prevent it being moved…

Moved by who?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Whoever owns them – the leasing company, a mortgage lender after repossession, or the new owner after a sale by the adminstrators.

The airport has a lien on the aircraft for unpaid fees so will only release them once paid.

It feels a bit over the top given the difficulty to take off without airport support, but then again it is not like the snowploughs are needed elsewhere.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message