Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

MedEwok wrote:

thousands of people with a reduced quality of life and life expectancy through chronic heart disease.

I was actually responding to this specific bit of the comment. I felt you had, unintentionally I am sure, linked chronic heart disease premature death to Covid, which I had already disputed as inaccurate.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Lung pathology often causes heart problems e.g. if you have pulmonary emboli due to COVID you may end up with longstanding increased resistance to blood flow so the heart has to work harder which in the longer term leads to right sided heart failure. I’m not quite sure where we’re disagreeing.

Then of course there are the cardiomyopathies. What we still don’t know is how common and long lasting all these things are.

Last Edited by kwlf at 03 Nov 16:29

BeechBaby wrote:

I was actually responding to this specific bit of the comment. I felt you had, unintentionally I am sure, linked chronic heart disease premature death to Covid, which I had already disputed as inaccurate.

You are of course right, we do not yet know whether Covid-19 can lead to premature death through chronic heart disease (we know it can lead to acute heart failure, mainly through its tendency to cause embolization. Kwlf explained this in the post above).

All I was saying is that we previously knew that Coronavirus in general can cause Myocarditis, which itself can lead to chronic heart disease. Wheter this specific, new Coronavirus can also do this, I don’t know.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The UK restrictions have just been published uksi_20201200_en_pdf.

My take is:

As in the first wave, the key is understanding 2a:
“the circumstances in which a person has a reasonable excuse include where one of the exceptions set out in regulation 6 applies; "
The word INCLUDE means the list of permitted activities is NON EXHAUSTIVE.
“5.(1) No person may leave or be outside of the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.”
says that you need, ahem, a “reasonable excuse”.
Preserving a £50k aircraft engine is a good example. It explicitly does allow you to feed an animal and few animals are worth 50k!
Then you also have
“(4) Exception 2 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home—
(a) for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not
reasonably possible for P to work, or to provide those services, from home;
(b) for the purposes of education or training; "
which ought to allow flight training, which can be solo (maintaining currency) UNLESS EXPLICITLY BANNED by some other document.

The rest of it is not really relevant to deciding whether flying your plane is allowed or not

Unfortunately there will always be people who want “guidance”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

for the purposes of education or training; " which ought to allow flight training, which can be solo (maintaining currency)

Solo flight for maintaining currency, qualifying as training, where you are qualified to fly might be a bit of a stretch! As ever it comes down to if you can convince a judge that your interpretation is correct.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In criminal law, ambiguity is supposed to be construed in favour of the Defendant

Rule of Lenity

Administrator

Indeed, but I wouldn’t think there was anything ambiguous about solo for for maintaining currency equalling training.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 03 Nov 19:00
EIWT Weston, Ireland

The UK (for England?) exemptions for leaving ‘home’ are:
• For necessary purposes:
o to obtain or access supplies and/or services from businesses and services that are open for oneself, one’s household, or a vulnerable person;
o to access banking services;
o to take exercise or visit a public open place for the purposes of open air recreation;
o to attend a place of worship;
o to attend an event commemorating Remembrance Sunday or Armistice Day;
o to undertake activities in relation to buying, renting, selling or letting property;
o to visit a member or members of a linked household (known as a ‘bubble’);
o to collect takeaway food or goods that have been ordered for collection; or
o to recycle or dispose of waste.
• For work, care and legal purposes;
• For the purposes of education and training;
• For emergency assistance;
• For accessing critical public services and services provided by voluntary or charitable services;
• So that elite athletes can train or compete;
• To attend to personal medical needs, or to visit those giving birth or in hospital or care;
• To give respite or support to other people, or to access it for oneself;
• To visit a relative or friend on their deathbed, including if for their wedding, or to attend their funeral;
• To look after children (for example, to take them to school, or to see their siblings, or to meet a prospective adopter);
• To provide for the welfare of pets;
• To return home, where the person is on holiday immediately before this instrument comes into force;
• To visit a family member or friend in prison. "

Perhaps we’d consider hangars a “Place of Worship”? At least for most aircraft owners?

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

hangars a “Place of Worship”?

exemptions for leaving ‘home’ are:

That list is NON exhaustive. It doesn’t simply list all the things you are allowed to do.

I wouldn’t think there was anything ambiguous about solo for for maintaining currency equalling training.

I agree; I would use the “engine corrosion + Lyco SL 30 day max” angle instead

Ultimately, who will enforce this anyway?

Administrator

Current German data on the mortality among all SARS-CoV2 infected by age group:

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message