Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Really?

Indeed. Lots of talk in aviation related circles here. Normal winter conditions in Switzerland is very different from normal winter conditions along the Norwegian Sea. The main problem is the company. They set the same limits here as they set in continental Europe by the looks of it. The result is cancelled flights when others are flying. They cannot change it, because they don’t have the needed experience, not the pilots or the company.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Biontech information for administration

It says minimum 5G signal is -75dbm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Norwegian was in big trouble already before Covid.

When I started at Norwegian they had seven B787. Not even four years later, it was 38. They (“we”) pulled off a remarkable expansion quite successfully. I think in the end it was 44 million pax a year, biggest non US operator in JFK, 50 weekly flights to LAX etc..

Now, I’m not an accountant, and maybe it is better to grow organically with one plane a year, but the entry barriers of the market are very high, and established competition will never allow it and kill off any new “easy” contenders. I guess Norwegian’s strategy was to go bold, at the cost of huge loans. Parking all planes right at the peak of expansion was not part of the business plan.
Interestingly, even the “legacies” cried for and received multi billion (LH 9b, AFKL 10b) bailouts within weeks of the pandemic hitting.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to them. The government has refused to help out because of the insane loans they have and because of the Chinese now own a lot of it. I have a few shares there as well, bought at 1.0 NOK What I think will happen is they simply get rid of most of the company, then concentrate on the Norwegian/Scandinavian market and start all over again. But, they may also end up dead.

We’ll see. I believe the ex state owned airlines will be nationalized again and survive (at the cost of many more billions of taxpayer Euros) and the others will go bust. I hope this nightmare is soon over and things normalize again.

Wizz Air has started flying here. Nobody wants them, and the pilots aren’t capable of operating in winter conditions. They refuse to fly in conditions that are OK for SAS and Norwegian. They are dirt cheap though, but the way they operate, I cannot see they will last through the winter. A company that is so inexperienced and use so inexperienced pilots they cannot fly people “home for Christmas” is nothing but a joke.

Rumors have it that a high ranking HU politician is involved in wizz, fwiw.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 Dec 13:27
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I hope this nightmare is soon over and things normalize again.

I hope the best for you and other airline people Snoopy. An airline pilot I know in Germany just got hired by Lufthansa somehow, at a considerably lower pay rate than his previous flying job, but he’s flying again and I thought that was at least somewhat encouraging.

My neighbor the corporate G5 pilot is also flying again, after months off, with the same company as a part time employee paid a daily rate, but with benefits. He’s on a trip to the Middle East today and is not too unhappy because his daily rate is $1500 for any day he works any amount of time. He is none the less looking forward to getting back to where he was, and I suppose for corporate flying that may happen a bit faster.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Dec 15:03

Peter wrote:

Biontech information for administration

It says minimum 5G signal is -75dbm

Peter, you should mark such jokes with a or similar

Very interesting read. It is unusual to have multidose vials for use in 5 different patients, normally we are strictly forbidden from giving different patients medicine from the same container for hygiene reasons.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Thanks MedEwok. I was about to read it for the third time. I was shocked that I’d missed the 5G paragraph twice. Maybe about the force with which the needle was to be pushed into the muscle? The decibels being the recipients scream.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

you should mark such jokes with a

Sorry… it was an intentional p1sstake of those who are all over social media saying that 5G towers will be used to communicate with the vaccine nanoparticles, will be used to track people, and the data will be fed to Bill Gates Roughly 10-20% of the population believes this.

normally we are strictly forbidden from giving different patients medicine from the same container for hygiene reasons.

If a different needle and syringe is used (which it should be), is there a risk of source contamination?

One interesting bit in there is this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Which one is this? The Pfizer one?

the side effects are quite heavy imho. Or am I reading this wrong, being the medical pedestrian that I am?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

If a different needle and syringe is used (which it should be), is there a risk of source contamination?

Not really. The risk is very small if you use proper procedure: desinfect the membrane of the vial before withdrawing a new dose with a new syringe and needle, which you have just taken out of its sterile packaging and touched nothing else with. Then, nothing should happen.

The reason why our hospital hygiene doesn’t allow this for other drugs is that, once you puncture the vial’s membrane once, there is an entryway for microbes into the container. Which is precisely why Biontech wrote “use within 6 hours” here. Some of the drugs we use in anaesthesia are very fertile ground for bacteria, notably the common anaesthetic Propofol, which is based on soybean protein. Bacteria can grow quickly in this, so we have to use it within an hour. But this vaccine is diluted with sodium chloride and should pose less of a problem that way.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

the side effects are quite heavy imho. Or am I reading this wrong, being the medical pedestrian that I am?

It reads pretty much like the Influenza vaccine side effects. Remember that “very common” means about 10% or more experience the effect. So some people will feel like they are coming down with a fever after the vaccine, experiencing headaches, chills, muscle pain (myalgia) and the like. Probably for no more than a day in most cases. Much better than getting the real thing…as with all vaccines.

I wouldn’t call the side effects “heavy” as long as there are none that can leave lasting damage or lead to other complications that can…and so far, nothing indicates there are such lasting effects…again unlike the actual disease.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 05 Dec 20:57
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I hope the best for you

Thank you

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message