Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

RobertL18C wrote:

Obviously the switchboards are in meltdown.

The picture is very gloomy for air travel, there is not much they can do when demand is not there…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think one of the big issues here is making our best attempts not to totally overload the hospitals. Once that’s occurred then it will be messy I’d think.

The EU I see are proposing a travel ban (link ). Their criticism of Trump’s travel ban looks more than a bit silly now.

It must be a minefield for those determined to still get around.

The FT is behind a paywall unfortunately. I just see

which isn’t going to do anybody much good since the degree of compliance with “social distancing” varies dramatically between countries.

It is madness to be preserving schengen principles in the face of something of this size.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry, for some reason it loaded for me and I don’t subscribe. It seemed to me like a desperate attempt to look relevant whilst individual countries were making decisions themselves.

It is quite interesting to see how differently we value lives in different situations. E.g. a major source of untimely deaths in the western world are road traffic accidents.

In the UK we get about 2000 road deaths a year which is a lot. If you’re in your 20s or 30s then that accounts for quite a large chunk of your total risk of dying. Projections for COVID-19 deaths within the UK are from hundreds of thousands to millions. Even as a young healthy person, over the coming months your risk of dying of this is likely to be much greater than your risk of dying in a road traffic accident.

LOT grounding all planes.
CSA grounding all planes.
Austrian grounding all planes.
Norwegian laying of 7300 staff.
And more bad news…

If anyone needs an IR instructor or safety/mentor pilot I’ll be available!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Mar 16:27
always learning
LO__, Austria

Just back from Prestwick checking my plane and it is now sat beside three Virgin A340’s, parked up. That beside the 6 Norwegian 787 that have been there for a bit, one Ryanair 737 with engine covers. It begins..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Amazing.

It is the millenials (UK term for people born around year 2000) who are the key to whether this crisis fizzles out, or explodes and kills hundreds of thousands (including many of their parents) and then keeps coming back in waves.

Many still do not believe they need to worry about it. They pack the bars and the clubs. They rarely get sick, it seems, but they carry the virus just like anyone else. But many will get sick and many will die – because their crowded social life will infect so many more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

kwlf wrote:

Projections for COVID-19 deaths within the UK are from hundreds of thousands to millions.

Can you please link the source?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message