Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Cobalt – yes, I agree from what I understand this is exactly what I would expect. Time will tell.

I think my explanation has some solid sceintific basis. I cant quite recall where I read a paper on why some variants are more infectious, but this seemed to be the most plausible explanation I could find. As i say intuitively it doesnt make sense the mutation makes the virus physically transmit better, it is a more intrinisic biological consequence that gives this variant an advantage.

Everything with elastic bands has a shelf life. My underpants don’t last all that long due to that (you really wanted to know that ).

Must be a huge problem with nearly all PPE. What this tells us is that “for the next time” each country must have its own domestic production capability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

There is a new mandate for FFP2 masks. Germany via the Health Ministry currently has about 1.2bn masks in storage.

Don’t forget that there are 80mn Germans and FFP2 masks officially are disposables. So 1.2bn masks sound like a lot – it’s actually just 2 weeks of supply…

Germany

True but not all Germans will source their mask from that supply source…

T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

My underpants don’t last all that long due to that

But is it actual aging or the repeated washing that wears out the elastic bands?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have always had the same problem with cheap masks. It is always the elastic that breaks. I think it is just cheap elastic as opposed to it degrading – doubtless just about the cheapest they can find.

I know something about boats. Shockcord is used (also known as bungee cord). A lot of the cheap shockcord last 5 minutes, definitely due to UV degradation. The better quality stuff will last a few years. You get what you pay for.

Yes; could be either. But I also see this elastic life issue at work. We get components in tubes, held together with elastic bands. On the older stock the elastic has disintegrated. Can’t say how long; maybe 2 years. After a few more years it goes hard and falls apart into small pieces when touched. So PPE must have a “use by” date on it and after that it’s “at your own risk”, and you can be sure that the “risk management MBA” types who run the system will be ultra conservative on this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Peter wrote:
My underpants don’t last all that long due to that
But is it actual aging or the repeated washing that wears out the elastic bands?

Peak EuroGA :-)

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Airborne_Again wrote: Peter wrote: My underpants don’t last all that long due to that But is it actual aging or the repeated washing that wears out the elastic bands?

Peak EuroGA :-)

I reckon he is buying cheap underpants.

You should get 5 years out the designer stuff.

In France there now appear to be more sensible suggestions about a (potentially self ‘inflicted’/imposed) lockdown only for the elderly and vulnerable who would be vaccinated while in confinement. The scientific counsel charged with the government’s COVID ’’response’’ argues this would allow for faster vaccination of the vulnerable and an improved economic recovery and limit to the damage caused by the lockdowns to the young.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message