Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Silvaire wrote:

Fear of the possibilities is absolutely a way to make good people do the right thing

I don’t believe for a single second that any modern American politician is even remotely worried about the possibility of the armed citizenry deposing them by force. But then, they’re not planning a totalitarian takeover so it doesn’t matter much. What they worry about in terms of armed citizenry is how to stop them slaughtering each other at a rate that far outstrips any other civilised country.

The NRA and the gun lobby wields power because it has money and votes, not because it has guns. The pet issue may as well be the right to wear yellow socks.

Safe flying :-)

Last Edited by Graham at 20 Mar 08:24
EGLM & EGTN

LeSving wrote:

Woke up this morning and found myself utterly fed up with this Corona situation.

And Norway has only been in “lockdown” for 8 days…

So far there is no sign of a lockdown in Sweden (or GA restrictions for that matter). The government is taking measured and evidence-based action. I hope it stays that way, but who knows? It is impossible to plan your life for more than a few days ahead.

My IR revalidation window is April-June. Right now I’m trying to decide if I should bet that flights are still possible in 12 days or do my IR PC now and have my renewal window moved to January-March which is not an good time of the year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The problem is this

It is highly likely that there are others factors in play which made a difference between the two, but it is worth observing. Unless a lockdown is done, this stuff spreads like crazy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

My IR revalidation window is April-June. Right now I’m trying to decide if I should bet that flights are still possible in 12 days or do my IR PC now and have my renewal window moved to January-March which is not an good time of the year.

Wait until April. Worse case scenario TS will extend your rating or there will be some other kind of solution.

ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

It is highly likely that there are others factors in play which made a difference between the two, but it is worth observing. Unless a lockdown is done, this stuff spreads like crazy.

How do you mean? I don’t see any significant differences between the Italy and UK figures before or after the Italy lockdown.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Mar 12:09
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I also dont see your point.
Arguably, the UK is actually doing better using a common sense approach than Italy was when it was locked down.
Possibly the lockdown is shown to not have made a difference.

Last Edited by skydriller at 20 Mar 12:29

skydriller wrote:

Possibly the lockdown is shown to not have made a difference.

Too early to say, I guess one has to wait is 2-4 weeks? (at least this was the case for SKorea-China)
Singapore, Japan, Hong-Kong, Taiwan seems to have a completely different story

Interesting graphs, on country differences for new cases using 7 days moving average
But seems journalists don’t care much about UK these days !

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/19/world/coronavirus-flatten-the-curve-countries.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 12:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think the degree of social interaction must be a factor?

The Italians are very gregarious, long coffe breaks, kissing on every meeting etc, the Japanese the opposite, we, in the UK, somewhere in the middle.

I had a thought. You see some helath works wearing full plastic face guards. Its a bit of plastic, but covers the nose, mouth and eyes – presumably very cheap to produce in millions (I know bad for the enviroment).

Would it have helped to distribute these free and require everyone when outside to wear them? I know it isnt a complete solution, but would it stop a lot of aersol transmission? Easy to wipe down with cleaning fluid as well and easy to spot anyone not wearing one. Seems to simple and maybe it isnt very effective?

I think the biggest factor into Italy is population density generally and that many people live in high density housing.

(I have spent a great deal of time in Italy and hope to spend more later this year)

Sign in to add your message