Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Graham wrote:

I don’t believe for a single second that any modern American politician is even remotely worried about the possibility of the armed citizenry deposing them by force. But then, they’re not planning a totalitarian takeover so it doesn’t matter much.

You made that opinion clear in your first post. The fundamental basis of the American political system is that no government can be trusted, the British government was their experience base at the time. About half of American households responsibly support gun ownership through their actions, understand that no hand waving argument will change their ability to kill with a gun when warranted, and they still don’t care much about little UK’s attitudes on the subject. I’m very glad to be among them.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Mar 14:47

This is what the UK is doing – or was for the last few days:

06_spi_m_o_consensus_view_on_behavioural_and_social_interventions_pdf

They have stated categorically that London will not be locked down. This is amazing since it is already mayhem in the hospitals there. It appears that they are simply not expecting compliance there. OTOH, they have to say that because any ambiguity on that would result in an instant exodus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

i dont think it is – mayhem.

Just been talking to a consultant at Tomies who is a close friend. It is still pretty quiet, huge preparations for that all changing and his clinic and all the space in the course of being re-allocated, but the patients arent flooding in (yet).

Obviously other London hosiptals may be different.

Out in the regions I have also spoken to another consultant in my area, and the chaos hasnt started there either.

Doubtless all an evolving picture, but this was both conversations this morning.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 20 Mar 15:44

Yes it may vary

Administrator

A warm welcome from a beautifully sunny Glasgow.

I am just back from the Health Centre. They are empty other than the poor and the methadone collectors.

You would think a three month holiday had been announced. The well off pensioned worried well, aged well off pensioners who we are supposed to be saving, are out in their droves. Walking themselves, dogs, kids. Supermarkets emptied before 09.00 am, Queue’s at pharmacies an hour long.

Meanwhile financial meltdown, no one working, business failures, no commercial airline flights.

You cannot get a car park space at parks, country walks et al.

I honestly feel that I am living and still breathing a futuristic fantasy land.

The pubs are also full to the gunnels….

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 20 Mar 16:09
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Airborne_Again wrote:

And Norway has only been in “lockdown” for 8 days…

Christ AA, this is not a competition. Besides, there is absolutely nothing showing that Norway has started too early with restrictions. It’s probably the opposite that is the case.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Silvaire wrote:

their ability to kill with a gun when warranted

And also when not warranted. Just a bit too often for comfort.

;-)

EGLM & EGTN

So many ignored the advisory stuff.

The govt will pay 80% of the wages of people not working, with a cap of £2500/month.

A massive package announced just now.

Big stuff.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The govt will pay 80% of the wages of people not working, with a cap of £2500/month.

I predict this will lead to businesses that are partially affected scrambling to arrange their affairs to look as though they would have been laying off their entire staff….

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

And also when not warranted. Just a bit too often for comfort.

;-)

2018 had only 297 people killed by rifles (that includes both assault , bolt, lever action and pump)

Compared to 1’515 deaths by knives or other cutting instruments

443 killed with hammers, clubs or other blunt objects.

Maybe call for an assault hammer ban….

672 deaths from fists feet and other personal weapons.

There steps being taken seem to getting more serious. I see that the US has said for all citizens to get back home or be prepared to stay out indefinitely.

Sign in to add your message