Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

A population of 4 times of Germany but 7 times more deaths and counting

Why has Germany managed to have so far fewer deaths (per million) than say the UK?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Why has Germany managed to have so far fewer deaths (per million) than say the UK?

At a guess I’d say the UK has a health service that, despite the apparent political necessity to praise it to the hilt, is really very average and nowhere near as good as the best in Europe.

Then we probably have a lot of people who are ripe for a virus like this to harvest. Poor diet and lifestyle across the age spectrum, and a large cohort of the ‘barely alive’ elderly who would have been dead long ago without modern medicine. There may be something in that last point about how we choose to spend our healthcare budget compared to other countries. Perhaps we spend more than others on prolonging old age?

EGLM & EGTN

172driver wrote:

I’ll shout you some excellent craft beer when you come !! There’s even a place doing UK-style real ales here, although they don’t go very well with the warm and sunny climate. LOL

Sounds great :-)

EGLM & EGTN

172driver wrote:

had a wonderful fish lunch with friends in a seaside restaurant at Morro Bay

Do you mean this place ?

The UK is now doing mostly second doses, which it had to, given a fixed vaccine supply rate. This chart (black is the 2nd dose) shows it clearly

Administrator

Graham wrote:

I can’t move to the US because you can’t get real beer ;-)

In the county (not state) where I live we had about 150 licensed craft breweries in 2020. Probably a few less in 2021 given the restrictions on operations that surely killed some of them, but which I think are now gone. Anyway, I think you’d manage

I have a couple of weeks until I get my second Moderna shot. At least for now the pandemic is over here, the data is low enough and staying there that it’s not worth a lot of concern, zero concern IMHO if you’re vaccinated.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Apr 18:10

Peter wrote:

Earlier reaction in the first wave, significantly more hospital capacity, better test&trace initially, no Boris Johnson in government, sheer luck.

At a guess I’d say the UK has a health service that, despite the apparent political necessity to praise it to the hilt, is really very average and nowhere near as good as the best in Europe.

Then we probably have a lot of people who are ripe for a virus like this to harvest. Poor diet and lifestyle across the age spectrum, and a large cohort of the ‘barely alive’ elderly who would have been dead long ago without modern medicine. There may be something in that last point about how we choose to spend our healthcare budget compared to other countries. Perhaps we spend more than others on prolonging old age?

Apart from the first factor, the rest are applicable in Germany as well, I’d think.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter wrote:

The UK is now doing mostly second doses, which it had to, given a fixed vaccine supply rate. This chart (black is the 2nd dose) shows it clearly

Here is the comparative graph for Germany:

EDIT:
There has been a huge increase just last week, as GPs started to vaccinate as well.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 12 Apr 17:15
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

quatrelle wrote:

Do you mean this place ?

Nope, was another one, Tognazzini’s

Which vaccine is Germany using?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message