Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

My wife and I got our second dose (Pfizer) on Wednesday. I had a pretty bad ache in the arm which peaked the day after the injection and is now almost gone. My wife ran had a nearly 39 degree temperature for 36 hours but other than feeling a bit tired did not really feel ill (a bit strange) but that is now also gone. A bit reassuring to see our immune systems did something.

I agree that the remaining restrictions within the UK are increasingly ridiculous; a lot will be lifted on Monday but other silly stuff remains (no more than six people to meet indoors…); now that the at-risk people are all protected everyone should really decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to take.

Biggin Hill

A bit reassuring to see our immune systems did something.

Yea I’ve been wondering. After the first shot I felt tired about two days after. The 2nd so far nothing but this morning I woke up with a queasy stomach… heaven knows if that is the result or not…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Yea I’ve been wondering. After the first shot I felt tired about two days after. The 2nd so far nothing but this morning I woke up with a queasy stomach… heaven knows if that is the result or not…

It’s actually quite hard to tell (and btw. not really relevant) which of the symptoms are a physiological reactions to the vaccine (beyond the obvious like swelling of the injection point) and which ones are more psychological. There is some interesting research currently going on indicating that a significant part of the populations shows symptoms of very mild forms of PTSD after the injection: The vaccination is a visible sign that “the horror” comes to an end now and you survived it. Therefore your body starts to move back to normal operations. Tiredeness, nausea, etc. are all quite common symptoms for people that have just escaped a critical situation.

Germany

I agree that the remaining restrictions within the UK are increasingly ridiculous; a lot will be lifted on Monday but other silly stuff remains (no more than six people to meet indoors…); now that the at-risk people are all protected everyone should really decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to take.

I tend to agree. Most people in the UK won’t end up in hospital now, which relegates this thing to a flu (which people get from time to time, and anyway – unlike flu – most people get a mild or asymptomatic version) and those who are old/vulnerable/religious-anti/whatever-antivaxx and still refuse these amazingly safe and effective vaccines should simply face the consequences. The govt cannot legislate for stupidity, and cannot legislate to look after people who are in communities which have decided to exist outside the “normal community”.

In the meantime this crazy stuff remains

Especially as care home staff are the market leaders in the antivaxx percentage, as well as a high infection risk (the lowest socio-economic groups, lots of boozing and other mixing, multiple jobs). But nobody is allowed to this so you won’t read it on the BBC

This is interesting data:

90% protection from hospitalisation is not 100% but is still very good. The NHS coped ok with 0% protection.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

Tiredeness, nausea, etc. are all quite common symptoms for people that have just escaped a critical situation.

Well, I’d expect that then after the “release”, basically earliest after the 2nd injection or the 2 weeks beyond that, where they say one is “safe”.

But you are right regarding the psychological aspect: It’s rare that side effects are so openly discussed and therefore I guess quite a lot of people might get effects because they expect them. We got a 2 page sheet what to expect after the 2nd shot… the doc there wisely said, “take it home and if you do get effects then check this page if they are on the list” rather than what many did, read them wide eyed and staggered out of the center fully expecting all of them.

As for myself, I usually have very mild to no reactions to most vaccinations, particularly the flu shot I usually have nothing. I’ve seen some who say that people who have had the flu shot show milder to no reactions to the Covid shots. There are thousands of experts and millions of opinions. Personally I think the tiredness which set in about 3-4 days after the first shot has a good chance of being genuine (I did not expect anything after the first and only later thought about it, whereas the current stomach upset very likely has other reasons.

Peter wrote:

Absolutely – can you add a link?

As everyone easily sees by the huge differences in percentages in individual fields and the huge spreads of individual percentages, one needs a lot of additional information to judge what these “90% protection against hospitalization” actually mean …

Germany

Interesting but still quite poor. For example, it still uses the efficacy against infection for AZ based on different (more sensitive) measurement criteria from the phase 3 clinical trial.

How old it this? four months into serious vaccination there should be better data.

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

The efficiency against transmission appears quite low, I had hoped it would appear higher, but they are probably just guessing at any rate.

Ted
United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Indeed.

Would be interesting to see similar data for the other vaccines (Moderna and Sputnik particularly).

What is disappointing in both is the efficacy against onward transmission. Also AZ appears to be a lot worse against infection.

Also the differences are quite massive. It would be necessary to know what exactly the different source data are. Maybe @Graham can shed some light here?

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 May 10:16

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What is disappointing in both is the efficacy against onward transmission.

The CDC thinks otherwise, see here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/health/cdc-masks-vaccines-variants.html?searchResultPosition=1

This references mainly the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but the upshot is that, at least according to the CDC, if you’re vaxed with these two you don’t transmit.

Sign in to add your message