Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Regarding reporting disease:
“It would only require the States and Europe. A few other countries (Australia) would be great.”
The US response to the aircraft carrier captain asking for help with Covid-19 indicates how US/Europe/Australia are likely to respond if some developed at home. Probably longer denial in the UK and US than happened in China.
PS What was the 1967 disease? I don’t remember one in Scotland – and I wasn’t part of the swinging sixties scene.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

The US response to the aircraft carrier captain asking for help with Covid-19 indicates how US/Europe/Australia are likely to respond if some developed at home.

What do you mean?

Maoraigh wrote:

PS What was the 1967 disease?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

Were I in the position, I am afraid I would have dismissed the captain as well (perhaps without knowing all the facts, but as the case has been made). You cannot have any military command leaking crucial information whatever the circumstances, even if in your opinion it might not effect operational capability. That is in the nature of the military condition – you knew it when you signed up, and you knew it when you leaked the information. Unfortunately it cannot be forgiven because it could compromise the entire deterrent.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 04 Apr 20:50

The captain didn’t leak the information and hasn’t been accused of doing so.

Kwif – I stand corrected, that was my understanding. Why was he dismissed?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/uss-theodore-roosevelt-aircraft-carrier-captain-send-off/index.html

Just happens to be the first Google search result.

If true it wasnt leaked, he announced it or someone else leaked it.

If true some how the information became public knowledge (I assume). I assume the command did not dismiss him for passing confidential information to command or because of some other leak in the command structure over which the captain had no control.

I think it is up to the command structure to take the warning very serioulsy and act accordingly. It is not within the prerogative to second guess the decision making process of the command structure when it comes to a military asset on the part of the captain, or anyone else for that matter.

It all seems very murky to me. It could be that he did something wrong, or perhaps even included lots of people in his memo in the hope that someone else would leak it.

Another story suggests that Modly wanted Crozier to call him and made sure he had his number, but Crozier wrote a memo instead. Why might that have been so objectionable?

kwlf wrote:

Why might that have been so objectionable?

Memo is fine in my view. any captain is entitled to pass signals up the chain.

How or why that signal was leaked or became public knowledge is probably the issue, as is the extent to which the skipper was complicit or should have known that the signal was not through secure channels. Command would have a very strict process, and I can only assume (always dangerous) that process was not followed in some way, which came back to the skipper having to take responsibility.

Who says the memo was not sent through secure channels?

I think we will have to wait for the enquiry on this one, though I doubt we’ll see it.

kwlf wrote:

Who says the memo was not sent through secure channels?

I think we will have to wait for the enquiry on this one, though I doubt we’ll see it.

No one. I also doubt we will see it.

Why do you think he was fired?

It seems to me that a captain is responsible for the safety, morale and effectiveness of his ship and its company. Were he to be instructed, in peacetime, to shut up and chuck any CCP-virus victims over the side, or just to bag them, he’d be obliged to kick up a stink.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message