Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Ibra wrote:

The other way around it is how China plan to do it no vaccines for -18yo or +60yo which is more toward breaking the chain of transmission rather than protecting the fragile?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1212915.shtml

Wow, that was fast!

Ibra wrote:

course it’s bloody obvious that getting the vaccine is x100 less risky than getting the real thing…

If the Norwegian numbers hold true 13/33k vs. 500/60k it is even more obvious, that it is not 100x less risky but only 20×. Therefore if by other measures one could ensure that no more than 5% of this subpopulation gets infected, the vaccination is actually deadlier than the disease in this subpopulation. That is significant.

Germany

Graham wrote:

That’s quite an article and the anti-western sentiment is thinly-veiled, although I don’t think Pfizer/BioNTech or the EMA are terribly interested in Chinese opinions on the shortcomings of the solutions we have developed to the counter the virus they gave us.

I do agree with their vaccination strategy though (spreaders rather than vulnerable) and believe I mentioned as such back in Nov/Dec.

You have to read the other articles, someone is clearly getting paid a lot or having too much polictal opinions

The China strategy has some merits but at this early stage things are decided mainly by the vaccine stock which is really low, so it will go to those who are “at the frontline+fragile and willing to get vaccinated” rather than “those spreading”, also at this stage no one give a toss about those who don’t want to get vaccinated, there is not enough doses anyway

Malibuflyer wrote:

If the Norwegian numbers hold true 13/33k vs. 500/60k it is even more obvious, that it is not 100x less risky but only 20×.

x20 is still good but worth digging

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jan 15:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

to the counter the virus they gave us.

Recently we actually find more and more evidence that the Chinese only gave “us” back, what “we” – well in this case let’s not call it “we” but rather “those Italians” – gave them in the first place. link.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 15 Jan 15:55
Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Recently we actually find more and more evidence that the Chinese only gave “us” back, what “we” – well in this case let’s not call it “we” but rather “those Italians” – gave them in the first place.

This, if proven, reopens the questions of virus “jump” from animals to humans.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

3.2 million people have now had their first jab in the UK, and roughly 440k have had two doses.

Data here.

They are really speeding up on the first doses. Yesterday they did ~316k, which is well above the required run-rate (~286k) necessary for the stated target of 2 million per week. Frankly they should not settle for 2 million per week and keep pushing it as fast as it’ll go. An initial position of there being ‘no demand for’ 24/7 vaccination has been quickly reversed.

It looks like vaccine supply continues to the be rate-limiting step. You can infer this from the second doses being given day by day: ~20k on Mon 11th; ~16k on Tue 12th, ~10k on Wed 13th and ~5k yesterday.

Word is that the rate-limiting step for shipping the Oxford/AZ vaccine is the supply of glass vials. Surprise surprise, we probably can’t make these and are dependent on imports. Perhaps time to collect them up after use and put them through autoclaves back at the factory.

Last Edited by Graham at 15 Jan 16:35
EGLM & EGTN

Does anyone from UK if foreign students will be offered to get vaccines? My children study in UK (currently on vacation in Croatia) returning to UK this month.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

13 deaths out of about 33.000 vaccinations is far too many!

Surely not, given that the vaccine went to the oldest first, and if you start at those who are actuarily closest to dying, you are gonna push a lot of them over the edge. 13 is nothing. What is Norway’s age distribution? Like all wealthy societies it will be heavily slanted towards the old.

The vaccination order is being done this way for humanitarian and political/media reasons. You would never do it like this if the survival of our species was really at stake.

3.2 million people have now had their first jab in the UK

I am seriously impressed. Been working on the plane all day and totally missed this…

Frankly they should not settle for 2 million per week and keep pushing it as fast as it’ll go. An initial position of there being ‘no demand for’ 24/7 vaccination has been quickly reversed.

Absolutely. The economic damage is so massive, that any money spent to speed this up (even billions, and they are spending nowhere near that) will be recovered 100x over.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Absolutely. The economic damage is so massive, that any money spent to speed this up (even billions, and they are spending nowhere near that) will be recovered 100x over.

The guy on Radio 4 managed (eventually) to get a straight answer out of Matt Hancock and it seems the problem is simply one of supply.

Pfizer have temporarily scaled back delivery to ‘Europe’ while they upgrade their production facilities to increase capacity. I put Europe in inverted commas because it is not clear whether it means the EU or all of Europe. The UK is on a separate procurement contract, and having made a much earlier commitment (and payment) may not be affected. That said, the scaling back of second jabs over the last few days indicate the supply of Pfizer is drying up (hardly any people who had Oxford/AZ will have reached the time point for their second jab yet).

Once supplies increase there is no excuse for being caught out with some other limitation such as facilities, logistics or staff. The military are getting involved – my girlfriend has a colleague who’s wife is a Squadron Leader in the RAF (medical branch, although not a doctor) and she has just been told she will be vaccinating people for the foreseeable.

EGLM & EGTN

Emir wrote:

Does anyone from UK if foreign students will be offered to get vaccines? My children study in UK (currently on vacation in Croatia) returning to UK this month.

There has been no suggestion that immigration status will be taken into account or that anyone will be denied it based on this.

However, people of student age are quite a long way off being vaccinated yet. For those being vaccinated at present, one is ‘invited’ for vaccination by one’s primary care provider – the doctor (or surgery) you are registered with. If this continues for everyone, it seems that making sure you’re registered with a doctor might be a good idea. But when we get into doing the younger population en masse, I don’t know if that’ll continue as it may become unworkable and lots of people aren’t registered.

EGLM & EGTN

I can offer this. A young woman I know (30s) who is a medic and has probably had Covid had the vaccination a few days ago. She is, and indeed has a well rehearsed history of being very sensitve to various substances, but she had an immediate and quite violent reaction. The reaction occurred within 5 minutes, convulsions, nausea, hot and cold sweats all appropriately treated. She is otherwise in good health, no other medical issues and no weight issues.

I reported this only because clealy reactions to the vaccine can occur, albeit in this instance I would reiterate she knew she had a history of reactions to various susbtances before she had the vaccine.

She made a full recovery and felt fine by the next day.

I dont know which of the vaccines she had.

Sign in to add your message