Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance for ground cover only?

I have just renewed my policy and put the aircraft on Ground cover only. The saving compared to the normal Flying Cover was 58%.

Included in the policy was ‘War and Allied Perils’ which is required for you to be covered for malicious damage whilst grounded.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Was that 58% off 3rd party only, or 58% off 3rd party + hull cover?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We had no problem changing to Ground 4 or so months into insurance, renewed Ground Only, and converted to Flying about 6 months into it.
Visicover.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It was 58% off the annual premium of Flying Cover in the EU including both hull and liability.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Was that 58% off 3rd party only, or 58% off 3rd party + hull cover?

See above.

EGLK, United Kingdom

This angle from the US is worth considering, especially for turboprop and jet pilots who are seeing some big increases anyway.

Administrator

Isn’t AOPA also in the insurance business? I mean certainly good to check how to go back to full cover before canceling anything, but this reads a bit like FUD to be honest.

US AOPA are a broker AFAIK.

However there is a lot going on at the higher end of the aviation insurance business, which people are choosing to not post details of.

As for piston GA, I will have a data point next month when mine comes up

I did ground cover only just once, in 2002, when grounded for ~ 2 months due to a prop strike.

Actually I think the desire for ground cover is possibly much bigger because a large chunk of the “farm strip” scene is grounded for 6 months each winter, due to waterlogged runways. I don’t know whether they downgrade their insurance.

Administrator
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message