Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TSA rules on Corona, by Bruce Schneier

Thought some may enjoy this text from B.Schneier’s security newsletter :

TSA Admits Liquid Ban Is Security Theater

[2020.03.16] The TSA is allowing people to bring larger bottles of hand sanitizer with them on airplanes:

Passengers will now be allowed to travel with containers of liquid hand sanitizer up to 12 ounces. However, the agency cautioned that the shift could mean slightly longer waits at checkpoint because the containers may have to be screened separately when going through security.

Won’t airplanes blow up as a result? Of course not.
Would they have blown up last week were the restrictions lifted back then? Of course not.
It’s always been security theater.

AJ
Germany

Truly, a ridiculous restriction. I once flew from Tel Aviv to Frankfurt. Israeli security was tighter than anything I’ve ever seen, but bringing a 1 L water bottle on board was no problem. I think if there is one people in the world that knows better than anyone else what is important re security and what isn’t, then it’s the Israelis…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Three weeks ago I passed Heathrow security check with one litre bottle of water (it was half empty) in my backpack. Unintentionally (because I planned to throw it in the bin but forgot) but I passed and nobody asked anything; I realized that when I boarded the aircraft.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That’s prob99 because the security people are heavily exposed, have no way to shield themselves, and don’t want to catch it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I generally haven’t taken liquids out of my carry-ons for quite a while, maybe a couple years, after noticing it had no effect at most airports. OTOH I think LHR has the most over-manned, poorly designed, brainless security theater in the world and I do follow the procedure there for fear of comically ridiculous hassles, which regrettably I have endured. I only fly through there because its cheap – those ‘in the know’ tend to avoid the place. I’m surprised LHR security would relent on any issue, however pointless.

(One time at LHR I was followed and persistently questioned by some flunky and his boss for no reason whatsoever except their boredom, after separately seeing a different passenger literally throw something at one of the security people in frustration)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Apr 17:31

Silvaire wrote:

OTOH I think LHR has the most over-manned, poorly designed, brainless security theater in the world and I do follow the procedure there for fear of comically ridiculous hassles,

I agree completely! I hate the place.

which regrettably I have endured.

So have I.

I only fly through there because its cheap – those ‘in the know’ tend to avoid the place.

I always try to go via Gatwick, but that’s not always possible.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

‘Unfortunately’ for me there is a direct flight to LHR from my local airline hub, obviously with many connections elsewhere in Europe from there. And for reasons that I can imagine, less demand foremost among them, its typically $100-200 cheaper to go that way versus any other reasonable choice. My motorcycling buddies, who are generally wealthier than me, and possibly even grumpier refuse to go through LHR to Europe.

Gatwick is as bad. The security tossers are totally militant there. 100% removal of any liquids over 100ml container size. Also single men are body scanned, so you need your GF near you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

generally haven’t taken liquids out of my carry-ons for quite a while, maybe a couple years, after noticing it had no effect at most airports. OTOH I think LHR has the most over-manned, poorly designed, brainless security theater in the world and I do follow the procedure there for fear of comically ridiculous hassles, which regrettably I have endured. I only fly through there because its cheap – those ‘in the know’ tend to avoid the place

Totally agree. LHR is a sh*thole and a disgrace in every respect, full of little jobsworths. I’m surprised, however by your comment about it being cheaper. IME it’s more expensive than most European hubs due to the stupidly high ‘passenger duty’. I had plans to fly to Spain next week and transiting through LHR would have been significantly more expensive than, say, FRA.

I avoid that place like the plague (or should that now be like Covid 19?)

Last Edited by 172driver at 16 Apr 18:29

Airborne_Again wrote:

So have I.

And I, with some self-important jobsworth running after me in the security queue to berate me.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message