Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One-person tent for carrying in a plane, and cooking

I did a “poof of concept” for real, on a trip to the Scilly Isles where a single boatload of tourists overwhelms the (already massively overpriced) hotels, and it worked well.

The Garrison Campsite had loads of room and at £11/person/night it would be almost acceptable to UK GA pilots, who normally have a ceiling of £10

Breakfast time – DIY cereal and fruit mix with oatmilk

All very workable, but sleeping is not that easy unless one can lie straight on one’s back.

Having that pub bench nearby is an absolute gift.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There was this “sleep under the wing” in June. All the old tents I had were since long gone (thought I had one laying around, but no). Bought a new one for the occasion, for €20 at “Biltema” There were no need for a tent anyway, except for mosquitoes. The Cub would take about 4 hours each way, since it would need re-fueling, so I took the P2008. My son also came along, and it’s much nicer side by side in the Tecnam

As a side note, fully loaded the P2008 is no high flyer. My plan was to fly at 7-8000 feet, above the rather turbulent thermals, but it simply would not climb above 5500 feet in the turbulence. On the way back, the air was much calmer, so got it up to 6500, which was OK with a strong tail wind to push us along. The P2008 should have had the 915 or 914 instead of the 912, and it would fly like a normal aircraft.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve camped in numerous tents of all sizes from nothing to 12 man globes in Greenland, and have tried mats and bags aplenty.

My personal tent of choice is the Lawson Hammock Tent which can be pitched between trees very quickly, or pitched on the ground.

It is very light for what you get, but you must be warned: getting in and out requires a bit of ballet, because if you try to roll out incorrectly, it will just roll over.
Thankfully, it is strong enough to hold your weight upside down, but it is rather shocking in the morning.

They being said, it is the best tent I’ve used period.
I can sling it in almost every situation and be sleeping within 10 minutes.

If it is hot, and there are no bugs, I don’t use the small poles.
If there is a cliff, I sleep facing the cliff, unzip and have the best view.
I’ve slept in Palm trees directly over the ocean, unbelievable, in the mountains, in forests, inside buildings (just sling the hammock tight and it lies nearly flat.

The key is that you can sleep flat. If you sleep straight down the tent in hammock mode it will be curved, but if you angle in it, you sleep flat.

Again, this is my go anywhere, sleep anywhere tent.
I keep carabiners on each end for gear that I hang in waterproof bags, like north face duffles.

This is a solo tent though, no sharing…

If you try it, make sure you get a suspension system, either from them, or from somewhere else that make hanging the hammock a 1 minute job.

Hammock mode:

Tent mode:

Last Edited by AF at 16 Sep 19:39
Sign in to add your message