Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people have practically stopped flying during coronavirus?

I guess the UK has been hit harder than most with things like restrictions on flights, AMEs being told not to do exams for class 2 medicals…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That threat by the CAA “chief doc” to AMEs, of some nasty sanctions if they are seen to be doing Class 2 medicals during the lockdown didn’t last long.

UK “social life” has been hit hard by the inability to travel to the mainland, especially the warmer places. Not sure the airlines are a major part of the economy though, and anyway one would think this would benefit GA. I did some nice trips abroad in 2020 in the TB20, when airlines were grounded.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

UK “social life” has been hit hard by the inability to travel to the mainland, especially the warmer places. Not sure the airlines are a major part of the economy though, and anyway one would think this would benefit GA. I did some nice trips abroad in 2020 in the TB20, when airlines were grounded.

Surely, I did more UK/France trips in 2020 & 2021 than I have done in previous years but all were family & work commutes, even crossing English Channel in winter felt better than driving through Eurotunnel

Certainly, going to warmer places far away did become a hassle but I think what killed UK “social life” is not external flying restrictions but internal closures of runway & restaurant especially as the majority is local or sandwich flying rather than full day trip, weekend or holiday (some have visited Sandown 30 times last years as going to everywhere else seems like begging or less inviting)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 15:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

internal closures of runway & restaurant especially as the majority is local or sandwich flying rather than full day trip, weekend or holiday (some have visited Sandown 30 times last years as going to everywhere else seems like begging or less inviting)

That’s true, since only the absolutely totally desperate will go to Sandown, to eat their stodge fried in W80, and then fly back without going anywhere They don’t go anywhere because a taxi to Cowes is £60, but there is no forum on which one can run a boycott of Isle of Wight taxis.

However, the conditions where you really could not go anywhere lasted only weeks. I managed a couple of locals during that time, and to be fair one could have done real locals around the UK, sightseeing in Snowdonia, etc. So there was little excuse, apart from those who got shafted by airfields which closed, trapping aircraft there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What I noticed in the US is that government restrictions and fear have killed every activity that revolved around clubs, i.e. the 300 member motorcycle club that was a big part of my life for 30 years is virtually dead now, maybe forever given other factors like aging of the pre-existing membership. Most areas of the US were not subjected to the same level of over-regulation that is still ongoing in areas of Europe, but club activity is one area that definitely suffered regardless. Very sad for a lot of people.

The good news was that US flying is not an organized club activity, the social aspect tends to be based on informal groups of friends at the airport making their own plans, and it operates ‘behind the fence’ as a Federally regulated activity without any relevant local or state coronavirus restrictions. Also, flights were possible to areas where local restrictions on e.g. restaurants were less than they might have been in your own county or state. Therefore GA was relatively unaffected, and may have benefited. Aircraft prices rising during the period reflect this trend.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Feb 16:35
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message