Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What would you do if you landed (and got stuck) on an uninhabited island?

1. Convert the aircraft into shelter.
2. Find food and water.
3. Enjoy the rest of my days on the island.

ESME, ESMS

Watch ‘Cast Away’ with Tom Hanks before leaving.

EBKT

Watch ‘Cast Away’ with Tom Hanks before leaving.

Talk to Hanx about it before leaving…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Here are some people who survived for 3 days. Looking at the pictures I wonder whether their ‘SOS’ might have been more distinctive than the official ‘V’ sign.

This actually (nearly) happenend to me. On Barrow Island, in the days before cellphones. The BAe airfield guys had gone and the airfield was securely locked up and deserted. “That’s OK, just make standard calls” they said. All very good, but when I came to startup, it wouldn’t. I’d been having plug fouling issues and now it was terminal. On the very last gasp of battery, after numerous mixture / priming/ blowing out etc, it fired and ran – roughly. Much leaning, etc., and make your mind up time: departure over a cold and unwelcoming sea, or a night in the open on Barrow Island?

After the departure, I flew directly to my maintanance base and shut down. That engine never ran again. All the profile on the front cam had eroded away, causing it to draw in oil.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

One concern, for many people, would be a lack of medications (drugs). For example a lot of people are hypothyroid. The half life of T4 in the blood is 7 days, so unless you had a huge stock of thyroxine, or was able to kill some animals and extract their thyroids to eat, you could be dead in a matter of weeks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message