Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video on UK CAA infringement enforcement procedures

I would not be so pessimistic. The same system was working ok (well, ok in terms of not heavily punishing pilots for brief errors) until maybe 3 years ago. It was around then that some decision was made to drive infringements to zero by any means possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The same system was working ok (well, ok in terms of not heavily punishing pilots for brief errors) until maybe 3 years ago.

Perhaps so, but I don’t see the direction of travel changing.

In any case it isn’t just airspace, safety, and commercial interests.

The degree of personal freedom involved in a non-EC flight from one uncontrolled strip to another without talking to ATC or the authorities even being aware of the flight is fundamentally incompatible with modern European political thinking. Indeed if you tell the average non-aviation person that we can do such a thing, chances are they do not believe you.

Last Edited by Graham at 03 Dec 09:32
EGLM & EGTN

To me, it would more be a low-cost, low-service model. Like :

• Mandatory EC
  • London info just calling out the ones about to enter CAS (big listening watch, no other service)
  • Gasco weekends for the unlucky ones

Then maybe radar services could be charged, units sending bills to all call signs just like other (landing, approach) fees.

• Opening a FPL : 5€
  • Traffic service : 15€
  • Approach vectors : 25€

As the song says, “what a wonderful woooorld”

Edit : about the privacy thing, do you think EU or anyone in power cares ? Mandatory sim cards in all new cars, zero action against whoever stockpiles our data.
You know, if it’s for “safety”, EVERYTHING can pass. C19 is a big enough example.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 03 Dec 09:52
LFOU, France

Graham wrote:

Indeed if you tell the average non-aviation person that we can do such a thing, chances are they do not believe you.

If so, then I believe it is more due to the kind of information intended to calm passengers with fear of flying that every flight is a “known flight”.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Dec 11:05
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jujupilote wrote:

about the privacy thing, do you think EU or anyone in power cares ?

There is the GDPR, so yes (although governments exempt themselves from parts of the GDPR they find inconvenient, while imposing them on everyone else).

Andreas IOM

Graham wrote:

Indeed if you tell the average non-aviation person that we can do such a thing, chances are they do not believe you.

That’s not a European thing; when I lived in Texas nearly all non-aviation people were absolutely astounded that I could take my Cessna 140 on a half hour bimble and not file a flight plan, and even more astounded when I added that legally I didn’t even need to turn my COM radio on or even have one fitted to the plane (and plenty were surprised that I didn’t have things like radar).

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

some decision was made to drive infringements to zero by any means possible.

Well 3 years in and that aint working is it…

skydriller wrote:

Well 3 years in and that aint working is it…

I suspect for the mentality of some in the CAA that is just clear evidence they are not punishing hard enough. If only they suspended more licences the problem would be solved surely….

Off_Field wrote:

If only they suspended more licences the problem would be solved surely….

Well of course in March/April infringements reduced significantly and the evidence is clearly because there was hardly any GA activity…

He’s back

Sign in to add your message