Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brussels blocking UK from using EGNOS for LPV - and selection of alternates, and LPV versus +V

Ibra wrote:

arj1 wrote: it WAS removed, VNAV is back, apparently, – CAA has removed that limitation

I missed that then, my bad then, when did that happen? we do have +V for any RNP in UK today? can I fly L/VNAV minima without BARO on GPS for places where LPV was removed? (say Kemble assuming I got an AOC to book the IAP)

I think it was enabled since Jun 2020.

EGTR

Probably here.

there is no evidence of that communication other than hearsay posted online

Indeed… One can find anything posted on FB or some UK chat site dominated by ATC/NATS/CAA staff. Actually implementing +V removal is something else, and that’s before you get onto the topic of getting US avionics makers to implement such a piece of stupidity. Reminds me of the GTX330 thing, years ago (right now, can’t find the original EASA order for disconnecting the GPS-GTX330 ground speed connection).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stupid question probably, and I should know this. (or maybe not) but why is LPV a GA only thing in the UK? I would (as an example) not recommend anyone flying an LNAV approach only (in real conditions) into Annecy as an example. (it’s scary I promise)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

why is LPV a GA only thing in the UK

I think it is used by very few (if any) airlines, all over Europe. The reason is that most need CAT3 which needs an ILS, and those flying to places where the IAPs are poor/obsolete (e.g. Greek islands) are using a synthetic ILS generated by their FMS (using INS as primary data source) so the entire procedure is flown on the autopilot. One pilot I spoke to a few days ago confirmed this.

Is France different? If so, what CAT types are LPV approved?

Administrator

I doubt there any “synthetic ILS” or “artificial SID” approved by CAA for use by commercial operators in UK?

I understand UK AD magic formula is CAS + Radar + ILS for anything operating with airline tickets and +200 souls on board, the airport radar is mandatory otherwise they will have to call “london info for join” or “freecall en-route”…

There are 15 Cat3 ILS with approvals but there are many Cat1 ILS runways with airliners where an RNP should nicely sit on the same plate like Southend, all it takes is ink…

EGAA (ALDERGROVE), EGBB (BIRMINGHAM), EGCC (MANCHESTER), EGCN (DONCASTER SHEFFIELD), EGGD (BRISTOL), EGGP (LIVERPOOL), EGGW (LUTON), EGHH (BOURNEMOUTH), EGHQ (NEWQUAY), EGKK (GATWICK), EGLL (HEATHROW), EGNM (LEEDS BRADFORD), EGNT (NEWCASTLE), EGNX (EAST MIDLANDS), EGPF (GLASGOW), EGPH (EDINBURGH), EGSS (STANSTED)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Mar 20:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You could ask a real pilot like e.g. @A_and_C

They are overlays of published IAPs, with vertical guidance.

Administrator

EGPE Inverness has radar (occasionally not available), ILS, but is in Class G airspace. EasyJet, KLM, B737 /Airbus/Embraer use it scheduled, as well as Loganair.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

They are overlays of published IAPs, with vertical guidance

Something proprietary? or our Jepp/Garmin?

PS: on published VOR/NDB conventional with overlay, we all fly them using LNAV+V, only a dumb pilot with low life expectency will go for the ADF in real life, it’s scary and very unforgiving out there without GPS: low IMC with low IQ tend to hurt, I had first & last experience: lesson learned and very glad it was not something like Annecy NDB

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Mar 21:14

It seems to be a lot more widespread in CAT than some here think. This is from airbus

ICAO_Regional_workshop_on_AFI_GNSS_SBAS_Airbus local copy

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

My understanding ILS Cat1 will be decommissioned by 2030 and replaced with RNP down to LPV200: Cat1 with RNP only and Cat3/2 with ILS (and maybe on RNP xLS if that comes into picture)

https://www.luchtvaartindetoekomst.nl/ontwikkeling+luchtvaart/documenten-luchtvaartnota/handlerdownloadfiles.ashx?idnv=1985512

Sign in to add your message