Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brussels blocking UK from using EGNOS for LPV - and selection of alternates, and LPV versus +V

Sounds like some provisional settlement has been reached:

Q) EGXX/QGWXX/IV/NBO/E/000/999/5504N00500W999
B) FROM: 20/12/31 14:00C) TO: 21/03/31 13:59
E) UK-EU TRANSITION INFORMATION: THE EUROPEAN GEOSTATIONARY
NAVIGATION
OVERLAY SERVICE (EGNOS) WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE FOR LPV POST 1
JANUARY 2021. THIS AFFECTS THE USE OF SATELLITE BASED AUGMENTATION
SYSTEMS (SBAS) AT AERODROMES WITH LPV LINES OF OPERATING MINIMA
DISPLAYED ON THEIR RNP APPROACH CHARTS. AS6

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sounds like some provisional settlement has been reached:

NOTAMs are limited to three months so I don’t think that says anything either way about a settlement being provisional or not.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The latest from the CAA:

European_Geostationary_Navigation_Overlay_Service_EGNOS_Frequently_Asked_Questions_pdf

They are indeed removing LPV in June 2021 and cancelling all applications for new LPV approaches.

I wonder if this will affect +V i.e. will Jepp remove that profile from their databases.

Administrator

How could I honestly consider British government to be safety-oriented when they are cancelling Safety-of-Life agreement?!
And it’s not a part of negotiation strategy as they say that there are no negotiations at the moment…

EGTR

There is some interesting stuff in that PDF. Apparently Norway has an LPV approach which is similarly “not authorised” by Brussels.

The CAA could have just carried on using the signal but the are 100% legally anally retarded on this sort of thing. If the “safety of life” thing is withdrawn by Brussels for the UK then the CAA has a bit of a problem should something go wrong.

The signal will still be there of course (even if the UK turns off its SBAS monitoring/correction stations) which is why I ask about the +V functionality.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Apparently Norway has an LPV approach which is similarly “not authorised” by Brussels.

It doesn’t say that. It says the CAA won’t comment because they don’t know anything about what agreement Norway has.

This could also be interesting.

It also seems that there’s no automatic agreement for EU members.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Feb 12:12
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Glad I haven’t thrown out my ADF yet….

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 26 Feb 12:31
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

Apparently Norway has an LPV approach which is similarly “not authorised” by Brussels.

I understand the sentence from the report:

The CAA has no knowledge of the arrangements regarding provision of EGNOS SoL services between an airport in a non-EU State and the EU/ESSP and we are unable to comment.

As the approach being probably authorised, but the CAA isn’t privy to the contents of that agreement.

ELLX

That tends to suggest that a non EU airport is able to do a direct deal with EGNOS for the authorisation to receive the electrons

And as was written previously here are some LPV approaches in Africa which is definitely non-EU

The problem is that if there is a charge to pay to Brussels (other than trivial) it simply won’t happen at any GA airfield, because they haven’t got the money. It is only if you have a large based FTO which needs to tick the “precision approach” box that the money may be available.

Administrator

If I understand correctly, LPV capability requires services and information by EGNOS and it also requires active SBAS stations in the UK, which need to be serviced and paid. So it is entirely up to the UK, correct ? What am I missing ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message