Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Caravan

Gippsland Airvan GA-8, with all the rear seats removed, has enough floor space to sleep two people in comfort, on Thermarest Mondo King XL mattresses – which is really the biggest and most comfortable self-inflating mattress you can get these days. There’s space left over on the rear baggage shelf for overnight bags. You can even open the rear cargo hatch a tad for ventilation. Been there done that – a few times actually.

And it’s probably a lot cheaper and more convenient to operate than an AN-2 or Caravan.

The British designed and built Chrislea Super Ace and Sky Jeep certainly had room to sleep. The Sky Jeep especially as it was designed with an access door on the top of the rear fuselage to accommodate stretcher cases.
Sadly never a success.

UK, United Kingdom

Let’s stop messing around and cut to the original, off-the-grid survivalist, runs on old McDonalds chip fry oil:

https://www.mallardaircraft.com/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That’s been my dream (and will prob99 remain one….) for a while: get a PC12 and fit it out like a camper van, two dirt bikes in the back with a ramp down the rear cargo door and off to explore the backcountry ! A Caravan and Kodiak are a tad slow, but probably more rugged. Dreams for the New Year…..

There was a Scottish guy who made his fortune in Silicon Valley, bought a castle, and toured the world in a Cessna Caravan, fitted as an office and living space. He had a pilot to fly it when he chose not to, or was working on his business.
I believe he took in New Year 2000 in Afghanistan, with hostile military.
I heard he was in poor health a year or so ago

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

There was a Scottish guy who made his fortune in Silicon Valley, bought a castle, and toured the world in a Cessna Caravan, fitted as an office and living space. He had a pilot to fly it when he chose not to, or was working on his business.
I believe he took in New Year 2000 in Afghanistan, with hostile military.
I heard he was in poor health a year or so ago

Be great to know more details on this !

EGL*, United Kingdom

Here is a neat AvGas platform which is for sale.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A largish flying boat amphibious aircraft would be something. But IMO an aircraft doesn’t easily convert into a “home” with any sort of comfort like a boat or a caravan/RV. A flying boat is probably the closest you get.

An aircraft is really only good for the transportation part of a journey

• Going fast from A to B – live at hotels
  • Flying at remote locations – live in a tent/cabin
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The thing with these types of idea for me is this: when you have the kind of money to buy and run an aeroplane big enough to be able to live in, then you would surely have the money to be able to just fly yourself to any location and then pay to get to a hotel or whatever somewhere nice away from the airport…

…the exception to this is wilderness flying which is bushplane/seaplane or helicopter. But then wouldnt you want to camp?

Regards, SD..

I guess the Wilson Global Explorer is as close to an RV/Caravan as you can come. It was also built for that purpose.

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message