Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

I have not seen my (normal) car insurance go up, but I work above a KIA service workshop and see the different procedures they have to use on EVs.

It starts with a barrier around the car to make sure “not EV qualified” mechanics can approach the car. This is silly but the voltages are definitely deadly if you are careless (much worse than 220V AC).

The procedures are just different and narrow down the range of people who can work on the vehicles, which simply raises costs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The barrier seems good sense to me, someone not trained to work on them may simply not perceive the danger. With liquid fuels you can see or smell them, and so you know not to say, light a cigarette because you can directly sense them. With electricity, you can’t sense it until you’re already in the process of being electrocuted. The way to guard against that is safe working procedures, and the simple measure of a physical barrier so that a non-trained mechanic can’t just walk up to an exposed high voltage circuit is simple and effective.

Andreas IOM

Off topic but don’t know where eles to put it as it refers to the insurance increases.
@Capitaine as a member of FFA your own aircraft will benefit from the get you home service for you and your passengers in your own aircraft.
As for your missive from LV many car insurers here are also sending out such letters to accompany re- insurance proposals.

France

From here?

Peter wrote:

where there is no scientifically demonstrable reason whatever, was the ROHS ban on lead in solder

I don’t know if the amount of lead in solder is significant from a health/environmental perspective, but it is a scientifically demonstrable fact that lead as such is really bad.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lead (in the abstract sense of eating it) is for sure no good for you

A pity even the latest EVs have big lead-acid batteries, then

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A pity even the latest EVs have big lead-acid batteries, then

They do? I thought these batteries were all Li-based? But I guess the main issue here is the likelihood of lead being released into the environment. That risk is arguably greater with electronics than with car batteries.

The main ones are but there is a “normal car battery” also.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The main ones are but there is a “normal car battery” also.

Indeed, but it is not big. Rather the opposite as I found out firsthand when I accidentally left the interior lights on in my car. I felt a bit stupid having to jump start an electric car.

The reason they have a lead-acid battery at all I guess is for commonality with petrol powered or hybrid car models.

60Ah lead-acid battery in a KIA EV (pic taken just now):

Administrator

Peter wrote:

60Ah lead-acid battery in a KIA EV

The battery in my KIA EV is smaller than that but YMMV.

Sign in to add your message